Hello from Texas

hungry hunter

Songster
Mar 9, 2016
the Heart of Texas
I've been a lurker around here for a while and I finally decided to join today. I'm looking forward to learning more about my chickens and how to better take care of them.

About 4 years ago, my wife bought a couple of chicks from the local Tractor Supply on a whim. I didn't really think they would make it very long, but boy did they prove me wrong. They kept growing and growing, so eventually made them a brooder out of an old doghouse I had built. Then they kept growing, so I had to build them a coop. I was never exactly sure what breed they were, but I'm pretty sure they were Red Stars. We loved those girls and would average about a dozen eggs per week - not too shabby for 2 hens. About a year and a half ago we had to sell our house and move so we gave them away (one died right about the time we were starting to move.

Last May we moved into our new house and inherited a hen. She is an Australorp and is just about the sweetest bird I've ever seen. She loves to be held and rules the backyard. She even tries to eat with our 60lb Blue Lacy when I feed him in the evenings. (I think he might be scared of her...)

I built a simple brooder last week based on a design I saw here on the forum and have been patiently waiting for chicks to arrive (and not sell out) at the local Tractor Supply. I called this morning and they said all they had in were Bantams and straight run Buff Orpingtons. I was kind of bummed because I didn't really want to get half a dozen roosters - and with my luck that's just what would happen...

I stopped by on the way home from work and they received a shipment in the middle of the day of Golden sex-links. Needless to say, I was super-excited. At least now (I'm pretty sure) I'd be getting hens. I ended up getting 4 sex-links, 2 Buff Orps, and 2 Bantams as well. Best I can tell from the feathers, I have 1 rooster and 1 hen Buff. I'll be posting some pics later on to try and determine what my little Banties are.

Here are a couple of pics of the new additions to the family. Please excuse the poor cell phone photos.

Sorry for the long first post, but I'm excited to be here (officially, and not as a lurker).

Thanks and God Bless.
HH

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have eventually decided to join us
smile.png
and congratulations on your new flock additions - great times!

I'll mention the learning centre, but since you have been lurking for a number of years, I'll say no more.

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread). Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom