Hello from Texas!

Chadworks1

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 20, 2013
Howdy, from Southeast Texas!

Let me start by saying that this website is "the bomb"! The information for newbies getting into the chicken raising world is unbelievable. We are new to raising chickens and have 14 ten day old Rhode Island Red chicks growing up in a brooder in the garage. I've built an incubator, brooder, and chicken coop/run based on info that I have gotten off of this website and from info from friends who have been raising chickens. This is a lot more exciting than I would ever have imagined. Looking forward to lots of great info from BYC to help us along the way!

Thanks,
Chad

Incubator with temp control & auto egg turner

Chicken Coop & Run

RIR's playing in the brooder

Hi and :welcome

Nice job building that all yourself! :thumbsup
Your chicks are very cute too.

Enjoy the forums. :D

you did great
thumbsup.gif

That coop is extremely gorgeous!

It doesn't look like you have enough ventilation. But, with your fantastic building skills I am sure you can fix that quickly.

Welcome to BYC !!!!!

I am worried about the ventilation as well. It could get plenty of updraft from the entryway in the floor but not sure if I have enough high point ventilation to get the air moving through. The corrugated tin provides some openings on the two ends where it lays across the fascia boards but I'm not sure if that, plus the holes drilled into the other sides, will be enough. You think I should drill some more holes in the side walls that won't get ventilation from the corrugations in the tin?

I am worried about the ventilation as well. It could get plenty of updraft from the entryway in the floor but not sure if I have enough high point ventilation to get the air moving through. The corrugated tin provides some openings on the two ends where it lays across the fascia boards but I'm not sure if that, plus the holes drilled into the other sides, will be enough. You think I should drill some more holes in the side walls that won't get ventilation from the corrugations in the tin?

Well....

It also depends on where you are located.

I think Texas and I think super hot. But, maybe you are in far north Texas?

So.... The questions are

1. Just how hot does it get where you are

2. When it gets super hot will you be able to park the tractor where it is shaded and has a nice breeze?

3. Do you ever get super windy

But, I would be tempted to take out one entire board and replace it with a strip of well anchored hardware cloth. If you never get super windy, but you do get super hot, I would pull out two boards and replace them with a strip of well anchored hardware cloth.

That is a bit drastic, and might make you want to run your head into the wall after all the work you did. In which case, you might be able to manage with just a row of holes, all along the top of the long side.

Back
Top Bottom