Hello from the California Desert

magdelaine

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Inyokern, CA
Hey everyone,

We are brand-new to chicken keeping here in the desert. Me, my husband and 5 kids recently moved onto property which, in my opinion, is my little bit of paradise. The house came with a chicken coop and two weeks ago we got our first hens, 5 red stars raised by a girl in 4H. We have been amazed at what good producers they are; some days we get 6 eggs out of 5 hens!

Before we got the red stars, however, my hubby had found a man who raised Cou Cou Marans and couldn't get the idea of chocolate brown eggs out of his mind. So yesterday we went to pick up 4 Marans from this guy and got home to discover one is a Dominique! Sigh. He's an hour and half drive away so I guess we are keeping her.

We didn't want to raise chicks so we looked for 6 to 9 month old pullets, and of course we made our first mistake by taking hens from two different producers and putting them in the same coop with no quarantine.
roll.png
Live and learn I guess. I hope the girls will be ok.

Hi there! I hope all is well with your mixed flock -- sometimes a person gets lucky; sometimes they don't.
fl.gif
Anyway, it's nice to meet you! Glad you joined BYC -- there is an ENORMOUS amount of helpful information on here, and lots of friendly people who are a joy to "meet". Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee, hot chocolate, or a soft drink, and prepare to spend an hour or two (or three, or six... !!) exploring the world of BYC!! Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom