hello from the jersey shore

maryann momhen

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
new jersey
So on Easter Sunday a friend of ours surprised me with 2 baby Barred Rock chicks....well a little bigger than chicks about 3 weeks old I think. I've never had chickens before so I knew nothing but being a backyard bird lover I immediately fell in love with them.. the only pets I've ever had were hamsters and a bunny.. all I had to keep them in was the bunny cage..and the only thing I had to feed them was birdseed which they wouldnt touch..corn on the cob which they gobbled up as long as I cut it off the cob..cheerios which they loved if I crushed them up and their favorite was dried meal worms...

you should get them some starter grower chick feed...as they grow they will need something bigger then a bunny cage.....and make sure to give them clean water....good luck

Oh yes! That was 9 weeks ago...we went out the next day and got them starter feed and we kept them in a bunny cage till about 4 weeks ago and when it got above 60 at night my wonderful husband built them an awesome 3 story 10 by 6 cage double fenced so the hawks don't get them !! I was trying to post some pics but my phone wouldn't do it....ill post them aftter I figure out how...my daughter named them aziraphale and crowley ....any neil gaiman fans...

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on the new chicks!! They are so much fun to watch grow! I have some 8 week old Barred Rocks too this year. Can't wait to mix then into the big flock.

Enjoy your new babies and this great adventure and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom