Hello from Upstate NY!

nick7764

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Starkville, NY
Well, it will be hello from Upstate NY in a few weeks! I'm going to be getting chickens for the first time early June, right after I finish moving myself from the suburbs of Maryland to a tiny village in Upstate NY. I'm really excited, both for the move and the chickens!
For some quick background on myself, I'm an (almost) 22 year old architecture student that's graduating from the University of MD in May. I'm moving to NY to live next door to a very close friend, in a community I love. I've lived in MD my whole life, and am ready to get away to the country! I visit frequently NY and have spent my summers there, and love it. The chickens will be for both me and my friend Wendy, who will be helping with chicken care as I settle myself in.
I'm moving into a formerly abandoned parsonage, next door to the formerly abandoned church my friend now lives in. She's fixing it up into her home and art studio. This summer I will be doing the same, that is, workin my butt off to get the house livable and lookin good.

At some point in May I'll be building the coop for my 5 or 6 girls (and a roo). The girls are due to come in the mail June 4th. Our order from a hatchery ended up being 2 wyandottes, an orpington, a barred rock, and a cochin bantam roo. I also really want to order 2 silkies, which I still need to figure out since I really need them to arrive around the same time as the others. A woman I spoke to at the hatchery actually mentioned this website when I was asking her about silkie breeders, so I still need to sit down and try to figure out how the buy/sell//trade section works...(speaking of which, do you guys know if its ok to place a wanted ad for chicks you want at a specific date in the future?). Anyways, wish us luck! We're excited to become chicken parents.... :)

P.S. here's a "before" pic of my future home! There's a bunch of original shutters out back that will be going back up soon...

welcome-byc.gif
I'm also in upstate NY. Just love that old house of yours!

Hello and :welcome
All the best for your move, and becoming a chicken parent! Sounds like you've got a good plan for settling your birds in!
You mean you visit NY the city very often? Wow, you're so lucky, I wish I could go sometime. :lol: Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have! Enjoy the site, and see you round. :frow

Haha nope actually I've only been to NYC a few times...I stay with Wendy when I visit, it's kind of central upstate...like an hour west of Albany..Its all country and small towns, but I love it... :)

Country and small towns is cool too. You'll fit in on BYC, there are many country folk round these parts.
I'm a city girl, but often go to the country on short holidays.

Back
Top Bottom