Hello from West Central Indiana

jdfog2

Songster
Feb 5, 2023
West Central Indiana
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We'll be new to chickens as soon as we get some. In-laws had them for several years so we have some familiarity. Also, my Grandma had a LOT of them when I was a kid and I stayed with her and helped her from Friday night until Sunday night almost every weekend from the time I was 7 or 8 until I got my driver's license. You'll read a short bit about my family later in the post. And you'll know why she had a LOT of chickens. :)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None, planning to get 8 to 12 layers soon and 30 or so meat chickens in late March to early April

(3) What breeds do you have?

We plan (hope) to get a few Wyandottes initially and are as of yet undecided on what meat chickens we'll get. We have 7 acres MOL of pasture about a mile from our house with a large pole barn. We've had 3 gardens there for a few years but we mostly mow the rest. I hope to cut down on mowing but am getting started small at first so I doubt the chickens will have that much impact at first. We're also going to raise some rabbits which we have done in the past. We're going to try raising them on pasture too - in rabbit tractors with slatted floors

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
1. They're crazy fun to watch is probably my favorite thing. Also, I spend a lot of time at our gardens working and really should take more breaks than I do when I'm there. I think I can enjoy watching the chickens and get those breaks taken. I'm 62 and still working in a 2nd career after retiring from the US Air Force at 42. I'm pretty easily entertained by simple, natural things. For example, I have paddled in my fishing Kayak and fishing float tube to parts of small lakes and "forgotten" to even fish for long periods of time. I've been to the Mountain West the past two Summers and really enjoy that as well. I am happy just sitting in secluded areas and enjoy the sounds and sights of nature. I found my "going hunting" or "going fishing" is more about the "going" than the hunting or fishing the past few years.

2. I have been reading a Salatin book and I am really concerned about the health aspects of store bought chicken. (Similar to why I garden a lot - the food is just so much better) And I eat a fair amount of it so I thought I'd try to raise some chickens myself and see how it goes.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Worshipping God and taking care of/being with Family. (I am one of 5 kids and my Mom was one of 17, (yes SEVENTEEN!) After those my interestes are reading, Gardening, Fly fishing, fly tying, motorcycle riding. Last but not least, telling lies about the fish I caught ;)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our kids are raised but one still lives at home. My wife would say there's two kids live at home - me being the 2nd one.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I've been lurking for a year or two. I found you by a Google search.

Thanks and Bless you all,
J

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We'll be new to chickens as soon as we get some. In-laws had them for several years so we have some familiarity. Also, my Grandma had a LOT of them when I was a kid and I stayed with her and helped her from Friday night until Sunday night almost every weekend from the time I was 7 or 8 until I got my driver's license. You'll read a short bit about my family later in the post. And you'll know why she had a LOT of chickens. :)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

None, planning to get 8 to 12 layers soon and 30 or so meat chickens in late March to early April

(3) What breeds do you have?

We plan (hope) to get a few Wyandottes initially and are as of yet undecided on what meat chickens we'll get. We have 7 acres MOL of pasture about a mile from our house with a large pole barn. We've had 3 gardens there for a few years but we mostly mow the rest. I hope to cut down on mowing but am getting started small at first so I doubt the chickens will have that much impact at first. We're also going to raise some rabbits which we have done in the past. We're going to try raising them on pasture too - in rabbit tractors with slatted floors

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
1. They're crazy fun to watch is probably my favorite thing. Also, I spend a lot of time at our gardens working and really should take more breaks than I do when I'm there. I think I can enjoy watching the chickens and get those breaks taken. I'm 62 and still working in a 2nd career after retiring from the US Air Force at 42. I'm pretty easily entertained by simple, natural things. For example, I have paddled in my fishing Kayak and fishing float tube to parts of small lakes and "forgotten" to even fish for long periods of time. I've been to the Mountain West the past two Summers and really enjoy that as well. I am happy just sitting in secluded areas and enjoy the sounds and sights of nature. I found my "going hunting" or "going fishing" is more about the "going" than the hunting or fishing the past few years.

2. I have been reading a Salatin book and I am really concerned about the health aspects of store bought chicken. (Similar to why I garden a lot - the food is just so much better) And I eat a fair amount of it so I thought I'd try to raise some chickens myself and see how it goes.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Worshipping God and taking care of/being with Family. (I am one of 5 kids and my Mom was one of 17, (yes SEVENTEEN!) After those my interestes are reading, Gardening, Fly fishing, fly tying, motorcycle riding. Last but not least, telling lies about the fish I caught ;)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our kids are raised but one still lives at home. My wife would say there's two kids live at home - me being the 2nd one.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I've been lurking for a year or two. I found you by a Google search.

Thanks and Bless you all,
J
Oh God Bless you J that's one of the best intros I've read in a while! I too love to worship our Savior. You'll do great with chickens . They are GOOFBALLS for sure. And at least you've butchered a chicken ( that's half the battle for most folks)that raise meat chickens. Thank you for your service Sir. And I wish you all the best. Helen

Back
Top Bottom