Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Chick

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Birdsandnerds

Chirping
Aug 11, 2019
West Richland, WA
Im new to this cite and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for me here. I am a house wife who watches kids at my house and I love it. We have 2 kids 10 (boy) and 8 (girl) yo. I'm fairly new to raising birds of any short other than the occasional parakeet when I was little. Although I've raised pretty much every other kind of animal out there.

Last year I moved out of a 2 story townhouse in the city and into a run down 50s style rancher that sits on a neglected .55 acre lot. Although it was a lot more living space and we never had to worry about having to repair or upgrade anything we just knew it wasnt enough for us.

What we really needed was land. Land to grow our own food and raise animals. Enough space that the kids could run around and not have an excuse to be inside. And above all we wanted somewhere that would allow us to not have to "keep up with the Jones" so we could teach our kids how to work hard, get dirty, have fun, live simple, and to embrace what makes them unique.

Anyways I started a year ago with 10 buff orpington and 3 americanos hens who I brooded in an old play pin. Oh the memories! Lol we live and we learn I guess. We were planning on having so many either, but of course we were advised that chicks die easily and so I should get extra just in case. But guess what... they all made it they are the most spoiled chicken in the neighborhood. We quickly build a pretty big coop and a fences run using all recycled materials.

This year we expanded our flock with at first 4 gold laced black wyandottes and 6 austra whites hens. And within 3 weeks a white chick pecked a black chick to death and then the rest of the chicks decapitated that black chick. And NO they werent brooding in the same old playpen. They had their own roomy inclosre we built.

Then we were given 2 black australorp hens and black australorp rooster which we will breed. 4 muscovy ducks, and a guard goose.

Back
Top Bottom