Hello, I'm New. I have 3 pet Bobwhite Quail

HarleyQuailison

Chirping
Sep 20, 2018
Hi everyone. I recently got 3 Bobwhite Quail for therapy(was suggested) and I love them!! But recently I've had an issue I don't understand at all. So first let me tell you a little about myself. I'm 50 years old and disabled. I have bred Bluenose American Bully's for Show for over 9 years, and 7 years ago we bought a male pup for breeding, with Champion and Grand Champion Bloodlines. He ended up being my baby boy from day 1, and by 6mo was my registered Emotional Support Dog. We were together ALL the time. We were about to freeze his semen for future sales because he was 6 1/2 years old, when he suddenly wasn't feeling good, vomiting, drinking lots of water, so I called my "trusted vet of 10 years" emergency line, which no one answered for over 2 hours, and when they did, he was sleeping and fell asleep on the phone. I woke him long enough for him to tell me to bring my dog in right away. I got my dog there as soon as I could, being it was almost a 2 hour drive. We were made to leave him there for 5 hours for testing, then were given some crazy diagnosis, and given all kinds of medicine that was supposed to make him feel better within a week. But not only did he not get better, he got worse, new symptoms, etc. So I called to see if I could ring him back in, only to be told they were "too busy" and, "the next step is to neuter him"????????? I was so upset, but I figured, he was the all knowing vet, so I am just going to have to trust him. A few days later, my fiance' and co-owner of my boy called again, and got the same response, but he blew up because it had been far too long since he ate, we were forcing all these medications on him he knew were not good so he was trying to reject them, and so they prescribed another medication that was supposed to make his appetite increase. He died within 3 doses of this medication, an agonizing death. I was devastated, especially after finding out the "trusted vet" had mixed my dog's tests up with other dogs, because he was "too busy", and the medications poisoned my dog to death. That said, I began going to grief therapy, and since I had other dogs and that was not helping, so bobwhite quail were suggested. I had a really hard time with hatching my first time, and only 3 hatched alive, one died in the first two days, and the other at three weeks old after I took them from their brooder into a beautiful bird mansion I bought and secured for them from Cocci, something I learned about from you guys here in a post "Quail Diseases and Cures" So then I was left with 1, which I could have sworn was male, but turns out is female. She began getting lonely and demanding my constant attention, which I could not give obviously. So when she was 15 weeks old, I set out to find her company. Not an easy task as you either have to incubate eggs or buy at least 50-100 at a time. I finally found someone who was local with two 2wk old Bobwhites, and bought them for $5 each. I prayed one was male and one female, but it is looking like both are males, one much bigger than the other, and now the same size as my girl Harley. So they are now 12 weeks old, and Harley girl is 27 weeks old. All has been great for 10 weeks, but suddenly, in the last week, the larger male has been mating with her, but she has been receptive. I don't think he was even doing it right, I don't know for sure, but it looks like the videos I've seen. Then the past couple days I've been really busy and haven't spent the usual hour I spend twice a day with them. Last night we had a big storm, thunder, lightning, etc., and I was gone all day. When I got home, I did my normal routine, take dogs in pairs outside to potty, but they went fast because they don't like storms, and then, Harley was freaking out! She went berserk!! Flying up hitting her head, running all around the mansion, just freaking!! I tried calming her with my voice but she had lost it! Then, after finishing the dogs, I brought their mealworms and water over, and sat down and opened the door calling her to calm down. She ran out to me, jumped around a minute, then ran up my arm and I grabbed her and held her close, calming her down. She snuggled in tight and burrowed into my neck and chin and I just held and petted her talking calmly. She was out of breath and stuff and very nervous, but did calm down after 45 minutes of holding her. I did notice that she had that cream stuff on her genital area, but I don't think that would do it, because she's been letting him all week, inviting him even. I'm thinking the lightning maybe? Anyways, I decided after calming her that i was time for them to go to bed, and turned the lights off, and they went to sleep. But this morning, she flipped again!! I read a thing about getting them to drink raw sugar and salt in warm water, and it seemed to work, but she is still isolated and acting weird. I'm worried she is going to injure herself! What is making her freak out and how can I stop this?? I can't sit and hold her forever!

Hi everyone. I recently got 3 Bobwhite Quail for therapy(was suggested) and I love them!! But recently I've had an issue I don't understand at all. So first let me tell you a little about myself. I'm 50 years old and disabled. I have bred Bluenose American Bully's for Show for over 9 years, and 7 years ago we bought a male pup for breeding, with Champion and Grand Champion Bloodlines. He ended up being my baby boy from day 1, and by 6mo was my registered Emotional Support Dog. We were together ALL the time. We were about to freeze his semen for future sales because he was 6 1/2 years old, when he suddenly wasn't feeling good, vomiting, drinking lots of water, so I called my "trusted vet of 10 years" emergency line, which no one answered for over 2 hours, and when they did, he was sleeping and fell asleep on the phone. I woke him long enough for him to tell me to bring my dog in right away. I got my dog there as soon as I could, being it was almost a 2 hour drive. We were made to leave him there for 5 hours for testing, then were given some crazy diagnosis, and given all kinds of medicine that was supposed to make him feel better within a week. But not only did he not get better, he got worse, new symptoms, etc. So I called to see if I could ring him back in, only to be told they were "too busy" and, "the next step is to neuter him"????????? I was so upset, but I figured, he was the all knowing vet, so I am just going to have to trust him. A few days later, my fiance' and co-owner of my boy called again, and got the same response, but he blew up because it had been far too long since he ate, we were forcing all these medications on him he knew were not good so he was trying to reject them, and so they prescribed another medication that was supposed to make his appetite increase. He died within 3 doses of this medication, an agonizing death. I was devastated, especially after finding out the "trusted vet" had mixed my dog's tests up with other dogs, because he was "too busy", and the medications poisoned my dog to death. That said, I began going to grief therapy, and since I had other dogs and that was not helping, so bobwhite quail were suggested. I had a really hard time with hatching my first time, and only 3 hatched alive, one died in the first two days, and the other at three weeks old after I took them from their brooder into a beautiful bird mansion I bought and secured for them from Cocci, something I learned about from you guys here in a post "Quail Diseases and Cures" So then I was left with 1, which I could have sworn was male, but turns out is female. She began getting lonely and demanding my constant attention, which I could not give obviously. So when she was 15 weeks old, I set out to find her company. Not an easy task as you either have to incubate eggs or buy at least 50-100 at a time. I finally found someone who was local with two 2wk old Bobwhites, and bought them for $5 each. I prayed one was male and one female, but it is looking like both are males, one much bigger than the other, and now the same size as my girl Harley. So they are now 12 weeks old, and Harley girl is 27 weeks old. All has been great for 10 weeks, but suddenly, in the last week, the larger male has been mating with her, but she has been receptive. I don't think he was even doing it right, I don't know for sure, but it looks like the videos I've seen. Then the past couple days I've been really busy and haven't spent the usual hour I spend twice a day with them. Last night we had a big storm, thunder, lightning, etc., and I was gone all day. When I got home, I did my normal routine, take dogs in pairs outside to potty, but they went fast because they don't like storms, and then, Harley was freaking out! She went berserk!! Flying up hitting her head, running all around the mansion, just freaking!! I tried calming her with my voice but she had lost it! Then, after finishing the dogs, I brought their mealworms and water over, and sat down and opened the door calling her to calm down. She ran out to me, jumped around a minute, then ran up my arm and I grabbed her and held her close, calming her down. She snuggled in tight and burrowed into my neck and chin and I just held and petted her talking calmly. She was out of breath and stuff and very nervous, but did calm down after 45 minutes of holding her. I did notice that she had that cream stuff on her genital area, but I don't think that would do it, because she's been letting him all week, inviting him even. I'm thinking the lightning maybe? Anyways, I decided after calming her that i was time for them to go to bed, and turned the lights off, and they went to sleep. But this morning, she flipped again!! I read a thing about getting them to drink raw sugar and salt in warm water, and it seemed to work, but she is still isolated and acting weird. I'm worried she is going to injure herself! What is making her freak out and how can I stop this?? I can't sit and hold her forever!
Hello and Welcome.
You might want to copy and post your question here:
CLICK HERE FOR THE Quail FORUM-

farmer connie wel blu.jpg

I am very sorry for your loss to begin. Secondly, another post stated a radio for vermin but what about for calming effect?? I don’t know about birds yet except what my grandma and uncle did once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom