Hello I'm new to this website and Chickening.... (Yes I made that word up)

payner

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2015
Hey all,

I live in Michigan and decided to get some chickens for fresh eggs and something to do. I have 11 ISA's and 1 Bantam of some type, not sure what it is, think some kind of Easter Egger. Anyways adding 5 Barred Rocks this spring. I really enjoy them, taking care of them, reading about them, they are quite interesting animals and the eggs are great too...

Hello Payner,

I'm new as well. I just love chickens and, I agree, the eggs are wonderful! When I first got my hens I couldn't believe the golden color of the yolks compared with the light yellow yolks you get in the grocery store. They taste great too! So, you'll soon have a flock of 8? How much space do they need? Do you have them in a coop or are they free range? Thanks, NZ4

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Isa Brown is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links. They are laying machines that will consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
It seems like chicken maths is alive and kicking which is always reassuring to know
big_smile.png
. Theres lots of great info here on BYC and that, combined with the experience and friendliness of its members makes this the one-stop site for everything chicken, so kick back and feel at home!

All the best
CT

Join the crowd, we make up names here all the time like "chickeners," "duck-lets," anything goes. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

welcome-byc.gif

Before adding more chickens, be sure to read up on isolation and integration.

Thanks for joining us!

HI NZ4,

I have 12 total now and have an 8x10 coop. I also have a 300sq. ft enclosed run for them now but my wife is putting in a pretty good size garden this spring so as soon as the weather breaks they will have a chicken tunnel to that area to clean up the weeds/grass, etc. to get that area ready for tilling. I am also learning about composting (it is winter here so hard to compost when everything is frozen). I would love to let them free range but I live in a pretty rural area and have a ton of natural predators. Coyotes, raccoons, minks, opossums, foxes, hawks (already got one of my bantams) and owls..then I have 4 dogs, 2 which are out of control when it comes to birds so training them is going to be a huge challenge!!!

Back
Top Bottom