Hello... need help w/RIR pullets

koakai22

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Central Alabama
Hi everyone... I purchase these 4 RIR pullets from a nice breeder who seemed reputable. They are approx 5-6 months old (not laying yet) and basically look identical but 2 have yellow legs and 2 have dark skinned legs. If I understand correctly, this is not possible in a pure RIR. So I'm wondering what kind of birds I have? Any ideas??

Looks like the "breeder" was using hatchery stock, as that's what those birds appear to be. They're not heritage RIR, but rather look like production reds, cherry eggers, etc---basically generic red birds that are great layers.

If you're really concerned, or paid $$$ for pure bred birds, contact the seller and see what they can do for you.

Looks like the "breeder" was using hatchery stock, as that's what those birds appear to be. They're not heritage RIR, but rather look like production reds, cherry eggers, etc---basically generic red birds that are great layers.

If you're really concerned, or paid $$$ for pure bred birds, contact the seller and see what they can do for you.
X2

So another question.... it seems there are several "spin offs" on the RIR and difficult to get an actual heritage red. Does this apply to other heritage breeds also (ie Sussex, wyandottes, orpingtons)? I realize hatchery birds will not be show quality but will I get the actual breed of bird?

Heritage birds, so called, are breeder blood lines that fanciers and loyalists to the breed have kept for decades, in some cases 100 years. This is what makes them so special and only really available through careful breeders of the breed in question. Some show their birds, other breed/raise them for 4H kids and others in the fancy, while others simply love raising the birds, enjoying them as chickens and breeding them faithfully, year after year.

We've got a Heritage thread for almost every breed here on BYC. There you can find discussions, eye popping photos and interesting people. Many good breeders and devotees of the breed hang out there and contact can be established.

Hatcheries serve an entirely different purpose. They are mass producing birds, for the most part. They are a business and must be profitable to stay in business. They are to chickens what McDonald's is to food. Is McDonald's food clean, fast, and cheap? Yup. Is it the same as a gourmet restaurant or a home cooked meal by grandma? No way.

With a hatchery you'll get an available, mail order, healthy bird for the most part. That's the good news. Will be even close to the standard for the breed? Heaven's no. That's not what hatcheries do. Hope that is said in a fair and honest way.

Last edited:
Thanks! Good to know not to use that "breeder" again. They are sweet girls so I'll overlook their downfalls.
wink.png
Really, if all you're wanting is a backyard flock, no reason not to use that same person again. Unless you're showing at APA shows, or wanting to seriously breed heritage birds, your birds are just perfect. Even if you have a kid showing 4-H, they're going to be competing against hatchery stock, so you just pick the bird closest to the SOP without obvious disqualifications and go with it.

Thanks for the wonderful information! Sounds fair and honest to me.

My basic goal is healthy dual purposes breeds for backyard enjoyment, eggs and meat... Possibly hatch a few if a hen goes broody. Nothing large scale. So it sounds like either hatchery or the same local breeder would be sufficient.

I am really enjoying all the amazing info here on BYC since I've joined! Thanks again!! :)

So another question.... it seems there are several "spin offs" on the RIR and difficult to get an actual heritage red. Does this apply to other heritage breeds also (ie Sussex, wyandottes, orpingtons)? I realize hatchery birds will not be show quality but will I get the actual breed of bird?

It can be difficult to get "heritage" strains of breeds that are commonly used in commercial operations, such as Rhode Island Red and White Leghorn, because there are so many commercial strains around.

Back
Top Bottom