Hello.. Need help with button quails

stephandjay2487

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Hi my name is Stephanie i live in buffalo ny. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right spot but I seriously need help with my button quails..
1st I have 3 blue and red Chinese painted button quails well the males are blue and red the female is brown with red. They are 3 months old and have started mating about 3 weeks ago.
The 1st problem is my females legs are messed up. She wasnt born like it I think her legs got messed up when she flew out of my hands and hit the floor feet first during a cage cleaning in November. It's like splayed legs but she crosses them when she walks. Sometimes they go outward but not often. I don't kno if I should splint them or if its too late.
2nd problem my big male started mating with her a while ago but no eggs at all yet. I don't kno if she will lay or not because her legs are injured.
3rd problem is the males keep trying to hump each other lol. I have no clue if its normal.

Im sorry if this is the wrong section if it is please point me to the right section.. Thank you

Welcome to Backyard chickens- I am sorry I don't know anything about quail. However, if you go to the "Other Back Yard Poultry" forum you will find threads from quail people who should be able to answer your questions. I would guess it's late to fix her feet now. As to the boys, if they are like roosters, they need more girls to spread their love. Otherwise they will overbreed your one hen to the point of damage and possible death. With her bad legs, she can't get away from them.

Thank u very much I appreciate the advice. Yea I know that with quail it's supposed to be a 2-1 ratio but 2 females 1 male and the lady I bought them from said they were 2 female 1 male. I'm going to have to take one male out or get another female.

I had a coturnix quail escape and run into the mouth of my chocolate lab, I ordered her to drop it and she did but still managed to injure the leg pretty bad. It tried to limp and move around but it was to small to get anywhere, not even able to eat or drink. It suffered too much, I convinced myself the only option was to dispatch it. So I did. Hope your situation gets better!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about quail (never had any), but they sure are cute, little birds. Definitely post on our quail link that Yorkshire coop left with you, and take advantage of our experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your quail.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Sorry, I don't know anything about quail. I hope you can find the information you need in the Quail section!

Good luck with them!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Unfortunately, I don't know much about quail. However, I wish you luck with your quail!

Thank you.
I'm sorry u all have to be bothered with this being up still but I don't know how to delete this thread. Lol

Back
Top Bottom