WhatTheDuck420

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
A few months ago a bird rescue organization, ASAP, was presenting at Petco when I went for cat food. They had all sorts of birds there, including a duck that my 2 year old fell in love with. Obviously, it was not a good idea to adopt a duck on impulse, so we did not get it. However, we had been planning on getting chickens for several months. After seeing how ducks are very good pets and livestock, we decided to raise ducks instead.
So we built a duck house, got supplied and ordered 4 chicks. 2 Muscovy, 2 Golden 300. All arrived 6 days ago. Unfortunately, with the stress the USPS has been under, they arrived 2 days late. So 3 day old chicks who never had water or food. 1 Muscovy was DOA, the other Muscovy died shortly after arrival. Both Golden 300 seemed healthy, until 1 suddenly died 2 days ago. The day after the first batch came, we went to a country store and got 2 Khaki Campbell's to replace the Muscovies. We also decided not to order anymore ducklings for now, since it seemed cruel to put more ducklings through such an ordeal.
So now we have 3 ducklings. Tim, Eric, and Flip. We are very proud and happy with our new ducklings. Also very worried since the Golden 300 was our strongest chick. We will be getting about 3 more ducklings in about a week, when they will be available in my area.
My household consists of me, my husband, our 3 children, 6, 2 and an infant. We also have a kitty named Tesla.
We have an urban homestead in the Salt Lake City area.
In the past week or so that we've had ducklings, my husband and I have gotten a lot of good info on this site. We're excited to join the community.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry you lost so many of your ducklings. I didn't realize the USPS was under so much stress.
I'm impressed with your restraint in not getting a duckling as an impulse buy. A lot of the folks who join us and start posting away with all kinds of trouble did not exercise the same restraint.

:welcome

Sorry about the postal problems. I've talked to a couple of people that work for the PO and they say it's as busy as Christmas time what with so much being sent through the mail right now.

Wishing you all the best with your ducks, I bet your kiddo is having fun with them!

Back
Top Bottom