Hello! New to the cold weather!

AtomicMama

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2024
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've had chickens before, for several years. I lived in the suburban Colorado plains at the time. It snows, but it generally doesn't stick around. I recently moved to Minneapolis and I have decided to get back into the chicken scene. But I really don't know what might be different about the winter's here.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have four. They're in a brooder in my house for now. They're only a few weeks old.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Buff Orpington, Americana, Buff Brahma, Rhode Island Red

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love the small amounts of physical labor involved with maintaining their space. I find it relaxing. And those kinds of chores are hard to come by in the city sometimes. Plus, I just love watching them. They're little dinosaurs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I knit and spin yarn. I garden. I do a little welding. And I get in over my head with DIY projects that I... sometimes finish.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a partner and four kids (17, 17, 14, 11). The six of us have two dogs, a cat, a ball phython, and three rats, almost all rescues.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Apparently, in 2012, a guy called Oblio13 built a "chicken hole". I've been scouring the internet trying to find anyone who has built a partially in-ground chicken coop, because that's what I'm planning to do. The thought is that the ground insulates well, and will help keep the chickens warm in the winter and cool in the summer. And the top 1/3 to 1/2 of it would be above ground so it can be ventilated, and so I can access brooder boxes and remove the roof to clean it out. I'm trying to figure out if there is any specific reason I shouldn't do that.

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've had chickens before, for several years. I lived in the suburban Colorado plains at the time. It snows, but it generally doesn't stick around. I recently moved to Minneapolis and I have decided to get back into the chicken scene. But I really don't know what might be different about the winter's here.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have four. They're in a brooder in my house for now. They're only a few weeks old.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Buff Orpington, Americana, Buff Brahma, Rhode Island Red

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love the small amounts of physical labor involved with maintaining their space. I find it relaxing. And those kinds of chores are hard to come by in the city sometimes. Plus, I just love watching them. They're little dinosaurs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I knit and spin yarn. I garden. I do a little welding. And I get in over my head with DIY projects that I... sometimes finish.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a partner and four kids (17, 17, 14, 11). The six of us have two dogs, a cat, a ball phython, and three rats, almost all rescues.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Apparently, in 2012, a guy called Oblio13 built a "chicken hole". I've been scouring the internet trying to find anyone who has built a partially in-ground chicken coop, because that's what I'm planning to do. The thought is that the ground insulates well, and will help keep the chickens warm in the winter and cool in the summer. And the top 1/3 to 1/2 of it would be above ground so it can be ventilated, and so I can access brooder boxes and remove the roof to clean it out. I'm trying to figure out if there is any specific reason I shouldn't do that.
Welcome to BYC. I saw that coop! I've always been fascinated with bermed dwellings and bermed barns. I would Google to see if there are bermed homes or barns I'm that area and what problems they may have. A lot of bermed buildings have humidity issues and mold. Also you'll need to consider rodents and other diggers.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm in New York with sometimes pretty brutal winters. I would never ever consider having any part of the coop underground. The thought of trying to trap heat is a mammalian way of thinking. Chickens are not mammals, they are birds. They are very well insulated. What they need is a lot of fresh air and copious amounts of ventilation with draft free roosting in order to stay warm and healthy through cold winters.

Back
Top Bottom