hello to all

livesky

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Looking to learn about poultry. This site is interesting. One owner helping and other. I fell the need to help an old lost hen. Follow introduction procedures to the flock. She bit one of my 3 month old chick on the neck and injured her. Should I get the old hen out if the coop? she rule over the feed and harmony of my young chicks.

Welcome to BYC. Bigger chickens pick on smaller chickens, it's just their nature. This is why it is GENERALLY recommended not to integrate new birds until they are the same size as the others.

Greetings from Kansas, livesky, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! It may be necessary to separate the old hen if she continues to hurt or boss around the youngsters. She is at the top of the pecking order but shouldn't be allowed to injure the new ones. Good luck to you!

ty redsox. I am watering the injured chick every hour with a 2cc syringe. she is in her own cage. does not eat yet. thinking to go buy her raspberry. I tried crickets to no avail. she stand and walk a bit. hope for a better tomorrow for her. the old hen was starved and keep a close eye on feed. so far she does not hurt the others.

Good Morning u all. My injured chick is eating, fluffing her feathers and gave me some resistance when I gave her the half baby aspirin with the syringe this am. She Will stay in her cage longer for her own security. I do not trust the old hen enough to reunite them.

Ty Mr Mkk. I am a beginner. Will be receiving more help then give. I own 7 poultry for the first time in my life.

Back
Top Bottom