hello to byc

sweety birds

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
Orkney North of scotland
hi there,
i have been following various threads on here for a while now, trying to learn as much as i can about my flock and everything sends me here. i think i'm from a different end of the world from most of youbeing from the small island of Orkney at the top of Scotland UK, but figured even if the logistics are not the same the birds are so i decided to join you community.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
we own the original and biggest local free range egg buisness in Orkney. our layers are hybrid ladies, our little brown hens we started out with around 170 lohman browns quickly increasing to 230. we have had isa browns and we are currently have between 1800 and 2500 Nova browns in a purpose built shed and grading station. we started off with one little converted stone shed with hand made nest boxes,hand collected eggs and had fed and watered hens. increased to 3 sheds of around 400 over the last 7 years and eventually we have our big shed.
so no we are not new to hens, but what i am new to is pet hens/turkeys/quail/keet

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
other than our laying ladies as far as pet fowl is concerned we currently have 12 bronze turkeys, 5 plymouth barb poulets(young hens not sure if everyone if familiar with the term pullet as we use it) and 4 plymouth barb roosters. all home hatched and in the all sorts shed. in there we also have 7 of our ex laying ladies (only 3-4 still laying) we also have a silver campine rooster, a jersey giant, what was supossed to by a light sussex and a wellsummer that were all free to a good home. we have 15 more home hatched chicks now 2.5 weeks, 5 extra chicks 3 weeks, and tommorow we are collecting a hen with her 9 chicks that have turned up at a neighbours house. we also have 5 bob white quail and what we are now thinking is a keet. we got eggs from a local laidie and some from south in the post that were all in together in the incubator, and as i didn't know what anything was i left them all 4 weeks and out came keet, who is 3 days older than the bobs.

we have more guinea in the incubator, 6 norfolk turkey some home eggs whic will be a cross between the plymoth and our nova brown. and a mixed lot of eggs, also Japanese and courtnix quail eggs

(3) What breeds do you have?
poss be adding a buff orpington to the crew over the next few days

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
various serchestrying to find out things about my flock havelead me here.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
i love me feathered friends but also love to knitt, craft walk and read but not at the same time as i usually walk into something if i do.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
we also have 2 boxer dogs 3 cats a black one eyed boy, a giant ginger ninja boy and out little laidie rosie rosebud the tortie. also will be adding a horse for my daughter soon.

welcome-byc.gif

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock.A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) You have a very good and thorough introduction. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined the flock
wee.gif
. With all your experience you are certainly a great addition to BYC.

thanks for the huge welcome and hello's. it's lovely to be made to feel part of the group already. have a big variety of birds hatching on me, so I have a lot to learn yet.

I have eggs in the incubator as we speak, half auto turning and half hand turning, i'm experimenting with both as I have not had a lot of success with this incubator and quite a few folk have said that they hand turn using the model I have. any way I got a surprise arrival last night when going out to do the egg turn before bed. one of my turkey eggs had pipped all the way round. it was due a week past Thursday making her 5 days late. only by chance the egg was still in there as I have just not taken it out yet. have never heard of an egg hatching that late before, so now i'm kicking myself for taking the rest out. the humidity was low so the poor wee toot got stuck in her membrane. helped her out this am and she's pretty weak and wobbly, her legs look a little bruised hoping if I give her time she will come at. fingers crossed I have called her serenity. which will prob mean she's a boy. Alice turned into a huge stag, and ozwald is a little hen lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom