Hello.

McGraw Brewd

Hatching
Oct 31, 2015
Hi,
My name is Shari and I am excited about my new membership here at BackYardChickens.
I haven't had chickens for about 20 years now. My brother gave me his coop and after cleaning
and making a few repairs on it we were ready to go. We picked up 4, 9 day old chicks and are
having fun with them in the kitchen right now. We got 2 Dominique and 2 Easter Eggers. After
a lot of research I am hoping we made the best choice for compatibility and child friendliness.
My 6 year old granddaughter loves animals of all kinds and she is enjoying holding them right now.
Enough about me...
Looking forward to many years of our new chicken adventure.
Shari McGraw

welcome-byc.gif
Shari!

I'm glad to hear you and your grand daughter are enjoying your new flock. You made a great choice, those are too of my favorite breeds. Dominiques tend to lay smaller eggs, but they are very hardy, good natured birds. Easter Eggers are very nice birds as well, and one of my families favorites. Good luck with your flock!

Hi :welcome Shari

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your chicks :clap Raising chicks with children is fantastic, my son has thoroughly enjoyed our chickens and having chicks. He really tamed them up to the point of them becoming pests!! I'm sure your granddaughter will really enjoy the whole chicken adventure and you too.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC, Shari. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. Our children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loved our chickens and made lap pets of the calmer and more gentle breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

I see you also have cats. Do they every bother the gals?
My cat has mostly been an outside cat but here in the past year
has been coming in more.
I am keeping a close eye on them. I have them in a pet carrier to keep
her from getting the chicks but I am still afraid (as she is a hunter) that
she will reach her paw through the small (very small) opening where the door is.
What do you think? Should I just keep the cat out until they are ready for their coop?
Shari

Hi Shari, very nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do. It is very common among new member intros, to hear that the house dog or cat, devoured their chicks. I think it is better all around if the pets NEVER meet the chicks. It just isn't worth the risk - it's not like a chick has ever injured a dog or cat. But, it's the chicks that end up dead.

Hi Shari,
welcome-byc.gif

It will be so much fun for your grandkids to be involved with the birds and once your flock starts laying, the kiddos will get a kick out of gathering the eggs.

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom