Hello!

Cindylou75

Hatching
Mar 6, 2016
Hello,
I have been reading several topics on this website for the past couple of months. I decided to become a member. I have started raising chickens this year. My daughter and her friends got me a rooster and a hen. Not sure how old the roo is but the hen is about 2 years old. She's challenging me as to my knowledge of caring for chickens. She only lays eggs about every 2-3 days. Her eggs at first were good strong evenly colored eggs. Then they gradually got softer and softer. I was only feeding her laying crumble; so i got her some oyster shell. The shells got better but wer real rough (gritty). And just this morning.........got another soft one. Not sure what is wrong......maybe henopause haha. Any advise would be great. Oooo and i also just bought 6 babies yesterday. They are so cute!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! As a hen gets older the laying machine can start to produce some odd eggs. As you only have one and one roo she could also be stressed from all the attention from him. One roo can easily handle 10 hens on his own. He could be harassing your hen and she is stressed so this inturn can cause her laying to be upset. The learning centre has some great articles and some good ones on egg quality too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and with your chicks too.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Yorkshire coop has given you some good advice so I'll just say hello, it's nice to have you here!

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom