Hello

Marciekam

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2017
I'm fairly new to this chicken thing. We got our chickens about 6 months ago. We are just starting to get eggs and just found out we have to move from Virginia to Texas. I really want to take my chickens but not sure how to move them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I have 4 Australorps that have been laying for about 3 weeks. The eggs are very small and look like pink erasers. I have read that they're supposed to be large to extra-large. Is there something wrong with my chickens?

Hi, welcome to BYC. I am not sure how you would move them, but even somehing small, like a crate or something would be good, depending on how many you have. As long as you don't mind cleaning up a mess. You could even make a little dark area for them and they could fall asleep. By the way, where in Texas are you moving to? I live in Houston.

I don't know about the eggs. Pictures would be helpful. Are they the size of erasers?

We are moving to San Antonio.

Attachments

• IMG_7265.JPG
    IMG_7265.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 1
Hmm. Those are exceptionally small. When hens start laying eggs they start small, then get bigger. That COULD be the case. I'll keep thinking.

Hi and welcome to BYC. my eggs are also very small and my chickens just started laying 2 weeks ago. Well chicken as only one is laying so far. Easter egger is the one laying and I have very pretty light blue eggs. Don't worry with the size yet as they will get larger it just takes time. From what I remember about 3 months till they will be larger, you should see a bit of size every couple weeks. This is how my Orpingtons were when they were given to us. Depending on how many chickens you have to move I would get some dog crates and put your chickens into them. Look at yard sales, craigs list and other places like good will. You can get them cheap just give them a good cleaning. You can also use wooden pallets and make your own crates to. How many chickens are you moving to your new home? They also will need time to adjust to the new house once you get there. They may not lay for you for several weeks after they get there. This is also normal for chickens.

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are glad you joined our flock.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Back
Top Bottom