Hello

GPFREEWALL

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2018
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hello all. I found this website some time ago in a google search and only joined today. My wife and I are new to chickens this past summer. We ordered our first ever chickens at the end of June and received them the first week in July. We did a ton of reading about what breeds to get and finally decided on what our hatchery calls the dual purpose assortment. These would be birds that they consider good for eating and egg production. We ordered 60 birds and end up receiving 63 one of which died early on(day 4 if I recall correctly). We received a variety of breeds including Columbian Rock, Rhode Island Red, Red Rock Cross, and Red Sussex. We butchered 51 birds in late October and kept 10 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster is a Red Rock Cross (looks like a Barred Plymouth) and the hens are a mishmash. 3 each of Columbian Rock, RIR, and Red Rock Cross and 1 odd ball we call Goldie Hen. She is most likely a Red Rock Cross but doesn’t fit any real description. So far I’m loving having chickens. I Could watch them for hours. As for some of my hobbies, I’m an avid hunter and fisherman. I enjoy building and working with my hands. My wife and I are both 36 and we have 2 boys aged 5 & 2. We also have a golden retriever named Nova and way too many outdoor cats.

Hello all. I found this website some time ago in a google search and only joined today. My wife and I are new to chickens this past summer. We ordered our first ever chickens at the end of June and received them the first week in July. We did a ton of reading about what breeds to get and finally decided on what our hatchery calls the dual purpose assortment. These would be birds that they consider good for eating and egg production. We ordered 60 birds and end up receiving 63 one of which died early on(day 4 if I recall correctly). We received a variety of breeds including Columbian Rock, Rhode Island Red, Red Rock Cross, and Red Sussex. We butchered 51 birds in late October and kept 10 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster is a Red Rock Cross (looks like a Barred Plymouth) and the hens are a mishmash. 3 each of Columbian Rock, RIR, and Red Rock Cross and 1 odd ball we call Goldie Hen. She is most likely a Red Rock Cross but doesn’t fit any real description. So far I’m loving having chickens. I Could watch them for hours. As for some of my hobbies, I’m an avid hunter and fisherman. I enjoy building and working with my hands. My wife and I are both 36 and we have 2 boys aged 5 & 2. We also have a golden retriever named Nova and way too many outdoor cats.
:frow :celebrate:welcome

Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom