Hello!

Zanylady89

Chirping
Jul 30, 2023
Marlow, Oklahoma
1Hello! Our family is very new to chickens! I've been lurking on here for a few days now and decided to join. We decided we wanted chickens and now I am deep diving in everything chicken. We don't currently have any chickens right now. I'm having a hard time deciding on breed, because I honestly would take them all. But we plan on starting with 10 as layers.

I'm excited about the aspect of being able to grab fresh eggs. And I fantasize of relaxing in a garden watching quirky chickens.
I enjoy crocheting, painting, and now I'll be adding chicken raising and gardening!
We are a large family of 7, a puppy, and a cat. I'm a homemaker trying to get more into sustainability, self sufficiency. A Google search lead me here and I'm glad it did! I've been learning a lot! I'm delighted to start this new journey and get to know the community better!|

I like your vision of the future -- "quirky" chickens and fresh food that you've grown yourself.

Congrats on during your research before you get your chickens; some of us (me included) do that in reverse order! But, choosing breeds can be overwhelming because of the vast number of choices.

Hatcheries often send free catalogs to prospective buyers; I've used the chart in the back of Hoover's, for example, to help narrow my choices. It's easy to see at a glance alleged temperament (every bird is an individual), weight, seasonal hardiness, as well as egg color, size and quantity. I'm a fan of mixed flocks because I like the variety in egg and feather colors.

Welcome to BYC, and best wishes with whatever breed(s) you choose! Let us know when you get your first chickens, please. And best of luck with your garden!

Back
Top Bottom