Hello!

krthaymp

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2024
Hi everyone!
I just acquired three hens and a rooster from my sister’s flock that had grown a bit out of control. She has mainly silkies and her only three polish hens were being bullies, so they have their own yard now along with their bantam rooster! I’m not super new to chickens - my parents kept a flock off and on when we were growing up - but this is my first solo adventure and I’m already feeling the learning curve!
Despite the challenges, I’m loving watching their antics and looking forward to their pest control help in the garden this year.
I haven’t let them out to free range yet, but this weekend will make two weeks they’ve been here and I think this weekend will be their first yard exploration.
I have three dogs and a cat, so my goal is currently to get everyone used to each other.
I’m really happy I found this site, and looking forward to learning from everyone!

We have a border collie that I'm not super worried about - she wants to herd them and bark at them, but not hurt them. She'll learn. It's the standard poodle I'm mostly concerned about. He's WAY too interested, and will be sporting a leash while outside until I'm confident he can be recalled of they decide to run and his instinct to chase kicks in. The third dog is smaller than the chickens and zero threat - he's kinda terrified of them.
Once I find the appropriate board, I'll make a post for some tips on getting the poodle under control and as safe as possible around the chickens!

Hello :frow

I'm so pleased you found us. 😀

Hopefully your dog will soon realise that your chickens are part of the family pack soon.

My dog used to chase cat's off our area, then one day a little kitten got attacked by Maggies. After that he always made sure when he was out that no other cat bothered him

I fed this kitty for a long time eventually trapping him to get him fixed. A year later he moved in and hid behind my dog.
Both the dog and cat are great with the chickens, especially the cat , he hangs out with my last remaining old girl to the amusement of almost everyone that passes by

Back
Top Bottom