Hello!

Edward7

In the Brooder
May 13, 2024
WA state
Completely new to chickens. There is so much to learn!

I like the idea of knowing where my food comes from, and if some sort of strange emergency happens in our crazy world, it seems like a good idea to learn how to grow our own food, etc. So that's part of how I got here.

I got some Barred Rock chicks a few weeks ago which I'm learning how to take care of. I sometimes alternate between being excited about having chickens, to being in awe of how joyous they can be - when they first wake up in the morning or when they are eating or get to visit outside for the first time, or when they snuggle in your arms when you pick them up, etc. - to feeling overwhelmed with some particular setup task or puzzle.

I do have some questions but I guess I will post one of them in a separate thread.

P.S. This website does seem better than reddit, if I'm allowed to say that! Thank you for having me.

Completely new to chickens. There is so much to learn!

I like the idea of knowing where my food comes from, and if some sort of strange emergency happens in our crazy world, it seems like a good idea to learn how to grow our own food, etc. So that's part of how I got here.

I got some Barred Rock chicks a few weeks ago which I'm learning how to take care of. I sometimes alternate between being excited about having chickens, to being in awe of how joyous they can be - when they first wake up in the morning or when they are eating or get to visit outside for the first time, or when they snuggle in your arms when you pick them up, etc. - to feeling overwhelmed with some particular setup task or puzzle.

I do have some questions but I guess I will post one of them in a separate thread.

P.S. This website does seem better than reddit, if I'm allowed to say that! Thank you for having me.
Welcome. You can ask questions here as well. We are experienced chicken keepers.

Well in terms of questions, I have a question about how many exits a "run" should have.

I've setup the beginnings of a 10x20 run and I'm in the process of converting a tiny building next to the run into a coop. I am planning to add a lot of predator protections to the run and the coop, and also an automatic chicken door between the two.

My question is: should the run have exits at both ends, if I want the birds to be able to free-range at times?

One of my fears is that the chickens could be inside the run, happily resting or eating, when a predator comes to a single open door in the run, enters inside, and then corners the birds inside the run, with no possibility of escape. In war movies, I think this is called setting up a "kill zone", a narrow space that your enemy cannot escape from or retreat from.

Currently when I let the birds into or out of the run, I always close and latch the door behind them. I just want things to be more automatic.

Does my question make sense?

Well in terms of questions, I have a question about how many exits a "run" should have.

I've setup the beginnings of a 10x20 run and I'm in the process of converting a tiny building next to the run into a coop. I am planning to add a lot of predator protections to the run and the coop, and also an automatic chicken door between the two.

My question is: should the run have exits at both ends, if I want the birds to be able to free-range at times?

One of my fears is that the chickens could be inside the run, happily resting or eating, when a predator comes to a single open door in the run, enters inside, and then corners the birds inside the run, with no possibility of escape. In war movies, I think this is called setting up a "kill zone", a narrow space that your enemy cannot escape from or retreat from.

Currently when I let the birds into or out of the run, I always close and latch the door behind them. I just want things to be more automatic.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Generally a run is used for keeping them separated from the outside for times when free ranging isn't feasible. Not that you couldn't have an exit, but you might want to keep it closed if birds are only using the run. Free ranging but leaving the coop door open is generally how its done. But again, things work differently for everyone, you can do whatever is best for you and your flock! 😊

Welcome to our community!

I

Hiya, Edward, and welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes, you make sense. It sounds like predators are of a higher threat there than here. If they are locked in the run with the gate shut, they are safe. Thus, I wouldn't open the gate to let them out unless you're around or a dog or something to keep the predators away. Most predation here is done at night.

Solar motion lights aren't too expensive which would start warning the predators to stay away. That cuts down on the nighttime and the daytime predators, as do our two dogs.

Yes, thank you, great advice!

There aren't too many predators here, most days. But about once a year, a bobcat comes through, coyotes come through, a black bear comes through, raccoons come through, a fox comes through. In the past, they would just appear one day, look around and sniff around, and then move on, but I never had anything interesting on my property in the past.

I haven't seen weasels but the guy at the store told me they are very active in this vicinity.

My first batch of baby chicks was almost entirely males! So I very quickly got over my fear of having them free-range. But now as I'm adding more females I'll have to be more intelligent how I do things.

Yes, thank you, great advice!

There aren't too many predators here, most days. But about once a year, a bobcat comes through, coyotes come through, a black bear comes through, raccoons come through, a fox comes through. In the past, they would just appear one day, look around and sniff around, and then move on, but I never had anything interesting on my property in the past.

I haven't seen weasels but the guy at the store told me they are very active in this vicinity.

My first batch of baby chicks was almost entirely males! So I very quickly got over my fear of having them free-range. But now as I'm adding more females I'll have to be more intelligent how I do things.
Weasels are some of the worst predators as they can get through a small hole and wipe out an entire flock. I would be sure to go around your run with 1/2" hardware cloth and bury a foot or so of it, or make a bend at the bottom that comes out 18" or so you can pin down with like heavy-duty tent stakes or pavers/rocks. I would look your coop over and be sure to cover any cracks or openings with that hardware cloth too. They can get through chicken wire, but can't get through hardware cloth. Nor can most varments albeit maybe a bear.

Back
Top Bottom