Hello!

donteatbees

Chirping
May 20, 2024
Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I got my chickens last year. We ordered 12 hens but one ended up being a rooster (Joker). We ordered 5 white leghorns (all named Karen) and the rest are plymouth rocks. I spent lots if time socializing them and they're so sweet! This spring my mama hen,(Wanda) Wanda hatched three chicks from the leghorn eggs, fertilized by our roo, Joker. They're 4 weeks old today.

How many chickens do you have right now?
Unfortunately, one week ago we started getting bears attacks, initiating what I'm calling The Bear War, which I'm winning since they haven't been back in six days. They killed 6 chickens, including my rooster and a chick. Now I'm down to 6 hens and 2 chicks.

What breeds do you have?
White leghorns (3), Plymouth Rocks (3) and a mix between the two breeds (2, chicks)

What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
It's hard to pick a favourite! They're fun to watch and talk to. They're so friendly, even my rooster (RIP) was a mostly nice, but did try to fight people occasionally, which was fun and I called it combat training haha. I love everything about them. Reinforcing the coop because of The Bear War has been fun even, I love keeping them safe.

What are some of your other hobbies?
I enjoy writing, reading and many different mediums of art, gardening and generally being outdoors and/or with my other animals.

Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live with my family as a college student working at a clothing store. I've also got a hedgehog and three dogs, a big herding dog, a medium sized dog who made it her life mission to keep every animal away from our yard, and one small inside dog who likes to chase the chickens (we always stop him right away)

Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC on Google. I've been boking around since my hen went broody to learn about the process. I finally decided to join because I have lots of questions given my current situation with my chickens because I need advice and hope to help others one day!

I added pictures of some of my chickens! One of two Karens, Wanda and her three babies. The second of Joker running away. These were all before the Bear War. I also added Ruff and Tuff sleeping in their fleece bed in their house in the garage to stay safe from the cold and bears.

Attachments

• 20240510_193550.jpg
    20240510_193550.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240430_094959.jpg
    20240430_094959.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240515_202129.jpg
    20240515_202129.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 5
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry for your losses. How are you winning the bear war?
I won my bear war before it even began by running poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger. The bears didn't even come on the field to play.
Thank you<3 glad I joined too!

I think I'm winning because they haven't been back. I set up what I call the "red neck alarm" (aka, RNA) which they cant get to the coop doors (which is where they were attacking, I'm assuming because it is quiter than smashing the wall open) without making a noise. I also made a small RNA at the dog pen door and the "secret door" that attaches them. I'll attach photos.

Our fencing wasn't working, so we'll get a new one. They also ripped it down. Where I live there is government funding to get fencing, so we're working on that. Until then, we're on high alert. And we think our dog has been scaring them off again. Usually my dogs scare them off, but one is in heat so it's 3 bears against one dog, so I think he was too scared, which is understandable.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2079412874.jpg
    Snapchat-2079412874.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240515_201101.jpg
    20240515_201101.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240516_201157.jpg
    20240516_201157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Oh gosh I am so sorry about the bear attack and your losses. :hugs We have bears here too, fortunately they have never messed with the coop. Best wishes with your flock! ❤️
Thank you! Glad to hear the bears where you are leave you alone! So far they're staying away now. I made it so they cant get in without making a bunch of noise now, so I think they've decided my hens aren't worth the trouble anymore!

Thank you! Glad to hear the bears where you are leave you alone! So far they're staying away now. I made it so they cant get in without making a bunch of noise now, so I think they've decided my hens aren't worth the trouble anymore!
Bears do get nervous with human activity and noise. This guy was too close for comfort for me, I kept my distance but after seeing me, he took a hike...
20170801_183712.jpg

:welcome:welcome:welcome

Welcome to BackYard Chickens! We're happy that you joined us! :woot
So sorry about your loss. Have you tried Nite Guard yet? Supposedly they keep everything away, including bears. (They're also having a Flash Sale today, FYI.) I've never tried them (I don't have a huge predator problem where I currently live), but I'd like to try them out someday and I've seen them advertised in a lot of chicken magazines and catalogs. They're solar powered, so running electricity to them is not a worry.

Bears do get nervous with human activity and noise. This guy was too close for comfort for me, I kept my distance but after seeing me, he took a hike...
View attachment 3838300
Yeah, they definitely don't like people. The bears came at night when we were sleeping, which is why we didn't know the first night. The second night we were too late and they were already in the coop and didn't care. Then I set up my "red neck alarm" and they haven't been back. I like to think they're scared of the alarm (I think the pictures are somewhere in the thread. If not, maybe another). The dog might be helping too

Back
Top Bottom