Hello

Stazia86

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
My name is Stazia and I'm in the process of getting an incubator to raise some chicks. I really like th Cochins and the Brahmas. They are feather footed and sweet and BIG! Any advice or tips for a newbie? I've done a LOT of research over the past 2 months, but i know even all the book knowledge is nothing compared to experience. I have a chicken coop built (just need to put the roof on) and have a brooder lamp and box. All i'm waiting for is the incubator so i can pick out the eggs and start cookin'...lol(not really , i'm vegan!) How much water do i put in the bottom of the incubator? is it better to use a still air or a forced air(with fan) incubator? what is the best feed to give chickens? I know chick feed for 6 weeks, but i mean when they get older? I've heard soy meal, turkey feed. What do you use? thanks for your input! have a lovely day!

Hi Stazia!
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! So glad you joined us! Those are nice breeds that you want! I like the big breeds also, well actually, I love 'em all, lol! As for the incubator, I have a still air LG, and I've had real good luck with it. I know others on here don't really like them. For me, I love mine, its just a matter of choice I guess. As for feed for your chicks, there are many kinds out there you can choose from, as you will certainly find out! Just make sure your coop is well secure from predators! Most of all, have fun! You'll learn lots on here.

welcome-byc.gif
from Vermont!

You've certainly come to the right place for chicken info! BYC is full of information and friendly people! You might want to check out some of the stickied threads in the incubating/hatching eggs forum. Nice to have you here!!
frow.gif

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from NJ! Good luck on your endeavor into the chicken world. If you haven't already heard both chickens and incubating are addicting. So fun watching them hatch!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom