Hello!!!

rachellou76

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2015
Hi! I have lurked a bit, looking for answers for awhile but yesterday I finally took the plunge and signed up. I have had chickens for about a year. Started with adult Jersey Giant and Brahma (we lost the Brahma due to injury last fall) and 6 Golden Comets chicks (I think? Red sex link? What's the difference?) The chicks started laying at the end of summer last year. In January, we received 19 more chickens, including a Black Cochin rooster, from my husband's cousin. After quarantine, we put them together. The only real problem was with the Jersey. She was picking fights. Last weekend, my husband got the rest of his cousin's chickens so now we have 50 chickens total (we had 51 but lost an Easter Egger last night :( )

The chickens we have are Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, Black Australorps, a Buff Orpington, white Leghorns, a lavender silkie, and a bantam (not sure of the breed, she looks like a little Easter Egger but lays little brown eggs.)

I stay at home with my 6 kids and homeschool. The chickens have been a great learning experience for them! My oldest is 17 and graduated from high school and my youngest is 2 and a mama's boy.

The chickens are my hobby. :p we sell eggs to friends and family who think we are absolutely crazy but are jealous because they want to have chickens and can't! We live in Ohio and are beyond ready for Spring.

Glad to be here!!! Excited to improve on our chicken experience!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry for all your losses. These things happen in our flock. But it sounds like you are enjoying this adventure.

Nothing better than finding those eggs and selling or giving them away to friends and family that don't or can't keep chickens.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

We're glad you decided to join the ''flock''! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, there is a lot of great info on this site and I'm sure you'll find answers!
big_smile.png
Sorry for your losses! hope the rest of your birds do alright!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear about your losses that you have suffered. You must be very busy there with your flock and homeschooling your children too. Raising chickens is such a rewarding experience with the kids involved. I too am very ready for the spring over here in the UK!

Hope you enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry for your losses!
hugs.gif
I hope the rest of your flock stays healthy and happy, and that they continue laying lovely eggs for you.
smile.png

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your losses :hugs Good luck with the rest of the new flock!
(Red sex links are just crosses that can be sexed at hatch by down color, the girls are reddish/ boys yellow, there are specific ones that are sold by different names depending on the hatchery/ breeding stock they come from, Golden Comet, Red Star, ISA Brown are some common ones.)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) My wife and I home-schooled our children as well, and now our daughter is following in our footsteps with our granddaughter (pictured in my avatar). Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.

Sorry about your losses.

My you have quite a large flock and the job of homeschooling…I know you stay quite busy.

Good luck with all.

Back
Top Bottom