Hello

TigerMom78

Hatching
Apr 26, 2015
Hello all! I am excited to be here! we have raised chickens for a few years now but this year my daughter decided to show poultry for her 4-H projects! kinda nervous because I have never shown chickens before! So I will be exploring different threads and getting help!
If any one has any advice on showmanship it would be greatly welcome!!!!

welcome-byc.gif
I have been to some showing competitions before (not showing my own), and it isn't too hard on the owners, the chicken sits in a cage waiting for the judges. If your daughter doesn't completely care about winning, it is a fun experience just to have your birds be in the competition. I would recommend washing them in a bathtub prior (especially if they have feathered feet) and keep their feathers clean until the competition. If you want to get placed well, I recommend you go to the link Yorkshire provided and some members will tell you what the judges judge your breeds on (how they should look).
I wish you and your daughter the best!
smile.png

You should know every part of the chicken. Know at least 10 breeds do chickens, 1 of duck, goose, and Turkey. You also need to know what a female,male,under 16 weeks old,duck,Turkey, goose, and maybe even other poultry are called.
You also need to know the parts of the other birds too.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chickens are definitely great for 4-H! I always have wanted to show my hens but there is not a place close enough to do so.

Back
Top Bottom