Help … my hen is growing is growing spurs…

olly2611

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 9, 2012
We have a beautiful black Australorp hen. She looks like a hen – we have been told she is hen! She was part of a flock of three backyard hens and is 2 years old. Of that flock she was the lowest of the pecking order. She has never laid and egg but looks healthy and is beautiful looking – very elegant.

The top chook in the flock died two months ago and this chook (name is Nigella) stepped into the position of top chook.

Over the last six months her comb has grown larger but most disturbingly she has grown spurs.

She is quiet and loves a rub and does not display any aggression. She doesn’t crow and still clucks like her ‘sister’. She still looks like a hen – fat and squat and not lean like an Australorp rooster.

Does anyone have ideas of help? Have we got a Transgendered hen in our flock?

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Some hens do grow small spurs, but your hens sounds like a roo... Can you post a pic of her?

Yes pictures would help but it sounds like your bird has gone through a hormonal sex change.

Never saw this in chickens, but my cousin once had a hen wild turkey with a beard and spurs, and she laid eggs. I saw it and would describe the beard and spurs as below average at best. My cousin and his father both kept chickens for many years, (and still do), and both also claimed to have not seen this before. I would venture to guess that if it can happen to turkeys, it might possibly happen to chickens as well.
Very interesting at the least, so please keep us updated. Thanks and best of luck with your birds.

Back
Top Bottom