Help! 😫 fleas! mites! Illness!

Mikalaaa

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2022
Hi there, I'm in dire need of advice from this incredibly experienced group of chicken parents🙏
Beginning of summer I took in 14 hens and roosters from a friend who got them during covid and then didn't want them anymore. I already had a flock of 18 mostly old hens who weren't laying much anymore so I thought a bunch of egg layers would be great. Super wrong, I stupidly had never thought to check them for bugs and turns out they were infested. I discovered this soon after taking them in when one of my older hens got really sick and I noticed she had mites when I was taking care of her so I checked the rest of the flock and they allll had mites and fleas and they all seemed to be thinner and just looking rough. I immediately got the help of my husband and we spent all day cleaning the coops ( I should note we had to add on to our coop because of the new roosters were fighting so there is now sections of coops with dirt floors..) And giving everyone flea baths with a kitten tea tree flea shampoo. I unfortunately chose to go the more natural route with that tea tree flea soap, using herbs, changing the type of bedding, using diamaceous earth, garlic spray on them every morning adding garlic to water also nutridrench and probiotic powder to help immune systems. And now it seems to be worse than ever, not only do I see them crawling on my flock and making some of them get horribly sick but I even see them on the coop doors and feed dishes. I honestly feel like burning it all down. Most of the flock is free range aside from the new roosters so there's so many locations around the property where they hang out (that ive been putting diamaceous on)
So long story long I'm done with trying all the natural stuff I need to get the big guns out especially before winter hits. Are there any bug bombs out there formulated for poultry? Any flea baths that are potent but won't harm my chickens? And products I should be using to scrub down the coops? Any and all help is incredibly appreciated!! Thank you 🙏💗

Attachments

• 20220908_153017.jpg
    20220908_153017.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220908_152931.jpg
    20220908_152931.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220908_152856.jpg
    20220908_152856.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220908_152843.jpg
    20220908_152843.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220908_152806.jpg
    20220908_152806.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 12
These two didn't go through the first time..

Attachments

• 20220908_153122.jpg
    20220908_153122.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220908_153104.jpg
    20220908_153104.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 13
Most people including me found that diamaceous earth is use less. Herbs will not repel mites either. Read this article:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

In my experience, Elector PSP works the best. I mix 18ml per 2 gallon water to give them bath and use the leftover to spray the coop and run. It gets rid of all mites. However, Elector PSP is expensive, so you can also get Permethrin 10 from tractor supply instead. You will need to repeat the treatments twice in 7 day increments.

Most people including me found that diamaceous earth is use less. Herbs will not repel mites either. Read this article:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

In my experience, Elector PSP works the best. I mix 18ml per 2 gallon water to give them bath and use the leftover to spray the coop and run. It gets rid of all mites. However, Elector PSP is expensive, so you can also get Permethrin 10 from tractor supply instead. You will need to repeat the treatments twice in 7 day increments.
Thank you so much @TillyPeeps ! Heading to tractor supply tonight. Is the permethrin 10 both a dip and a coop spray?

I got Permethrin Spray: Pen, & Poultry cheap at Amazon. It's ready to use, no diluting required.

I've also have Permethrin Dust: Garden, & Poultry Dust, from Amazon.

I got Permethrin Spray: Pen, & Poultry cheap at Amazon. It's ready to use, no diluting required.

I've also have Permethrin Dust: Garden, & Poultry Dust, from Amazon.
I use Permethrin Dust in winter time, but it only reduce the mite infection, not completely kill all. Only when I bathe all chickens with either Elector PSP or permethrin 10 will get rid of all mites.

I use Permethrin Dust in winter time, but it only reduce the mite infection, not completely kill all. Only when I bathe all chickens with either Elector PSP or permethrin 10 will get rid of all mites.
I'm planning on using the dust this fall after I clean the coops.

We just picked up a permethrin concentrate and both have this weekend off so we'll tackle this nasty beast, hoping it does the trick wish us luck!! Thank you everyone for all your insights it really means a lot, yall are the greatest 💕 have a good night all - Mikala

Back
Top Bottom