Help- 1 hen laying soft eggs

SBlanton

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
I have 4 hens that started laying aboutb3 weeks ago. They are on layer feed and have oyster shells always available to them. However- this last week one of my ladies has started laying soft eggs. I have read that new layers can do this. When should I start to get concerned? I’d there anything else I need to be doing? Thanks for the help!

This happened to me with 1 of my new layers. She layed a soft shell a couple times and I was confused. I also had been giving them plenty of oyster shells. Someone on here gave me the advice to give them the egg shells after I used them. So thats what I did and the problem cleared up. I don't give them egg shells all the time, only when I notice a soft shell. It doesn't happen often. I haven't had a problem with that in about 6 months. But its common amongst new layers. Hope that helps.

It probably is just from being new to laying, but if you concerned that she might not be getting enough calcium (and new layers aren't always the best at eating oyster shells) you can pop a calcium tablet down her beak.

This happened to me with 1 of my new layers. She layed a soft shell a couple times and I was confused. I also had been giving them plenty of oyster shells. Someone on here gave me the advice to give them the egg shells after I used them. So thats what I did and the problem cleared up. I don't give them egg shells all the time, only when I notice a soft shell. It doesn't happen often. I haven't had a problem with that in about 6 months. But its common amongst new layers. Hope that helps.
I am glad it’s common. I was getting a bit concerned, because it’s only her. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom