Help...2 baby squirrels...

maple

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure what my daughters found yesterday by thier swingset were 2 baby squirrels. They are 2 pink naked lil critters with a dried up remains of an umbilical cord...so very new. Yesterday was pretty windy. An adult squirrel was going back and forth on the fence line and trees...so I set the babies together under a tree.

About an hour later nightfall had settled in and the sky started to light up with the incoming storm. I went out and felt near the tree and felt 2 little cold bodies. I took them in and put them under a heat lamp...not directly as I found thier skin was burning so I pointed it to the side and they warmed up and then I fed them kitten replacement milk. This morning they were stretchy and wiggly and I saw what I presume is the mom going up and down fence line again. So I took the washcloth I had them laying on and bundled it up and took it back outside under the tree. It's currently 48* and put them out about half an hour ago and am leaving the area alone in hopes mom will come back for them.

I noticed there were all these dug up lil hole areas around the swingset...as if she was digging around for them yesterday?

What's the probability of her coming and getting them? Can they carry them back to the nest? Will she not get them if they have my scent on them?

I was thinking about calling a rescue rehabber later today if mama does not come and get them. But I'm certain what these are ARE indeed baby squirrels that had fallen from their nest and that's got to be thier mama grey squirrel who is going like a crazy mom who lost her children up and down that fence line. She didn't spot them when I put them on the leaves yesterday so now I have them in the white washcloth touching one of the trees....easily I think to spot them if she were running back and forth on the fence. dang it...I'm not liking this.

I've got so much packing to do for my move...I just rescued a mama cat who gave birth 7 days later....what is up with all these babies? I know God knows when a sparrow falls and so he must now when a squirrel falls too so how much more special am I--the Bible states. I'm very special. I know He loves me and will take care of me and my 2 little girls. These are 2 healthy little squirrels if kept warm. I don't like to sit and watch "nature" take it's course. I've never "rescued" a baby wild animal so I have no idea what I'm doing, that's why I'd rather call the rehabber if mom doesn't come and get them. I'm sitting here worried about them in the cold weather...and worried mom won't find them or take them.... sigh....

Any advice on what to do?

I hope mommy finds them. Can you see if she has a nest some where. I would call the rehab person just encase. Good luck will keep my fingers crossed for you and them.

I mean...they wiggle and squirm and stretch and make cute little baby noises. They may be pink and naked and kinda weird looking but they are tiny widdle babies and their mama just has to come get them or I'll be beside myself.

I'm thinking they blew out of the ponderosa pine but I can't see a nest outright like you can the bare trees...but that has to be where they came from.

Yes, mom will take them even if they smell like you. And they're better off with her, for sure. And yes, she can carry them like kittens back to her nest.

wee.gif

wooo hooo!!! Best news ever!!!

Thanks Lori.
hugs.gif

Quote:
No prob.
I talked to a wildlife rehabber once who told me the whole 'human scent = moma won't take them' myth is totally wrong. And I've seen a mother squirrel carry a baby to a new place before.

If she doesn't get them, call a rehab place. Otherwise moma cat is liable to think you brought her a snack....

Mama cat is in the house...it's Petey and Fuzzball the outside cats that would be my concern.

The squirrel may be a first time mom and abandoned them. Or the squirrel you've been seeing may not be the mom. If they are still hairless it it going to be harder to keep them alive. Take them to a rehabber if you can. Otherwise you will need to feed them every couple of hours, kitten milk is fine. I have also used lactose free (not soy milk) baby formula for young squirrels. I use a heating pad on low to keep them warm, but make sure they can get off it if they get too hot. After feeding take a tissue or paper towel, dampened with warm water and wipe their bellies and their 'bottoms'. This is very very important, as it stimulates them to go 'potty'. If you don't do this they will not pee or poop, and die. Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom