5 Years
Jul 7, 2016
Upper Mount Bethel, PA
I don't think this little one is going to make it. Can anyone help

This was February 12th

Now today February 14th

Agree,
[/URL]

Ok it is looking better, may I make another suggestion. Keep it clean as you are and put a dot of Preparation H cream for the inflammation for a couple days, get the lotion one that isn't too greasy. It appears on the road to recovery. Feathers should grow in a little while.

I am no expert but it looks like pasty butt or a prolapse. If it were mine I would try an epsom salt soak in warm water and then a dab of KY jelly. Hope it works out.

I hope the epsom salt works. If the poor thing gets worse, as much as it pains me to say, the best thing would be to cull. I love my birds, but I learnt that culling is sometimes the best thing for a suffering chick the hard way.

Don't give up too soon. Pasty butt is not at all uncommon. Give the rest of them gro gel . This is an excellent save the day product for chicks and older birds too. Just make sure their temperature is correct in the brooder. I am always checking on my babies when they are very little like this. I am just entering our 7-8 week with the chicks I just got in January. I had 1- 2 chicks a day that had pasty butt. It is not uncommon. Just be gentle , keep the chick warm and dry it with tissue by gently fluffing it up / not rubbing the skin. It is good to check them often when they are little. Keep this one with the flock till the end . They know how to encourage one other more than you do. It's chances may not be slim just make sure it is eating and drinking. Give them warm water to encourage drinking when very small.
jumpy.gif

Don't give up, I got a chick worse then that . I washed her butt and applied coconut oil every day sometimes twice .... medication in water and then I added the water to their feed, they got the meds that way . It's been 3 weeks and her feather have started growing in
1f60a.png
2764.png
She is smaller then the rest but she's so friendly since I hold her so much !!
Don't give up

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom