Help! 20 week pullet has a prolapsed rectum., with egg still inside!

fuzzballiscute

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2015
Hello, this is my first post on BYC. Yesterday, while waiting for my 20 week silver cuckoo to lay her 3rd egg, I picked her up to find that the egg was bulging sort of out the side of her butt. I searched it up and all I could find was prolapsed rectum, my this is more unusual.

Sorry got cut off:
This is more unusual because her oviduct was coming out with the eggs still in. I'm not sure what I said before about it being pushed out the side, but in the begging it seemed you could see the butt hole on the side. The ******** look like it had poop inside and the tube with the egg had one too. Anyways, in the beginning, when I didn't know what it was, I just pushed it back and but her in a carry case. A hour or so later I took her out to see it came back out. By then I had researched about the prolapsed rectum so I took action. I didn't want to attempt to pull out the egg, so I rubed antibiotic ointment and honey on it and pushed in and held for no less than five minutes. Then I put her back to the carry case. I was lucky to catch the problem early and before the other hens could peck her and before it got dirty.

This morning it came back out, so and the egg was really coming out, so I pushed back the tube and took the egg out. With this some off the tube came out too but I pushed them all back in and held for five minutes. She seems relieved.

I'm not sure that it will come back out, but if it does I plan on pushing it back with ointment and honey like before... I will also make sure she is in a dark area, isolated of course, to try and stop her from producing eggs for a while. I'm feeding her fruit and TMC (made of different seeds with pellets that have lots of minerals etc... I think!) instead of laying feed.

Any suggestions? Is this really a prolapsed rectum? I looked online and could really find any like mine so if you have pics please share!

Here's my photo

H

This photo is before I rubbed stuff on it and when I did, I should of took a pic with showed the egg inside the tube through the tubes hole.

Back
Top Bottom