Help! 3week old chick with a cold?

wiredfrog10

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
My poor little BCM roo, Jack Jack seems to have a wheeze when he is breathing. I can't hear it all the time mainly when he is sleeping. Just something I noticed tonight. He has been very active, still eating and drinking still trying to be the first to get the treats. If I put my ear to his chest I hear his heart beat rapidly, little ruffling of feathers and sounds to be some congestion. Nothing too heavy but def something is out of place. Any suggestions?

Does he seem weak, tired, or hunched over and shut his eyes as though he were resting? These are a few classical respiratory disease symptoms in chickens. I'd recommend removing him from his friends as the ailment could be contagious. I have also used tylan, an antibiotic, for some laying hens I had. I'm not sure if it has any lasting effects on growing roosters though. I've heard from a friend of mine that Duramycin is effective as well, though I have never used the medication before. The dosages for each medication should be on the medication containers. However, I am not sure of any negative side effects of Duramycin, but I've used tylan to great effect in fully mature chickens.

Best of luck! I hope your rooster feels better soon!

What is his history, where did he come from, and respiratory diseases in the flock in the past?
I don't have much history I've had him for a week, I got him from my local feed store. Haven't had anything like it with the others.

Last edited:
Does he seem weak, tired, or hunched over and shut his eyes as though he were resting? These are a few classical respiratory disease symptoms in chickens. I'd recommend removing him from his friends as the ailment could be contagious. I have also used tylan, an antibiotic, for some laying hens I had. I'm not sure if it has any lasting effects on growing roosters though. I've heard from a friend of mine that Duramycin is effective as well, though I have never used the medication before. The dosages for each medication should be on the medication containers. However, I am not sure of any negative side effects of Duramycin, but I've used tylan to great effect in fully mature chickens.

Best of luck! I hope your rooster feels better soon!
He seems healthy otherwise. Very active loves to perch on my finger, eats and drinks seems alert.

Now 3 sick chicks maybe 4. I have used the rx stuff under their wings we will see if anyone gets better.

You can try Duramycin 10, LS50, oxytetracycline, or Tylan 50. I would talk to them at the feed store where you bought them. It's not very nice to sell sick chicks.

You can try Duramycin 10, LS50, oxytetracycline, or Tylan 50. I would talk to them at the feed store where you bought them. It's not very nice to sell sick chicks.
I did talk to them she said she has seen it once in the store and she have me the vet rx and an antibiotic. I was concerned to use the antibiotic until I did some more research because of all the warnings on the back. I forget the name of it at the moment

So the stuff I have is the oxytetracycline my only trouble is this bag is huge I have 4 sick chicks and this tells me to mix the whole bag up and it will treat 1000 swine! Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom