Help! 6wk ducklings refuse to come back to barn at night

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, first time duck owner here. 12 ducklings from Metzer, about 6 weeks old, Khaki Campbell and Cayuga breeds. There is a 1/3 acre pond about 130 feet from a barn. Their first four weeks they were in a stock tank in the chicken coop. At five weeks, I let them out during the day into a chicken wire play pen that was half in the pond, half on the shore. Brought them back in at night. At week six, let them out to the pond on their own, which they seem to enjoy and have been exploring. They are scared of everything, even a baby chick falling into their brooder terrified them. They know me but won't come to me when I call. Two nights ago I bought a fishing net with extending pole, and succeeding in catching them to bring them back into the chicken coop. The last three ducklings did run back into the coop so as not to be left behind the group (which was crying loudly from the stock tank). The ducklings have since wisened up to me and my fishing pole and when I tried to bring them in tonight - now they take off swimming towards the middle of the pond. There are definitely raccoons and minks on the property, who got 5 or so hens earlier in the summer. Aside from the predators, it's raining and will get down to 50^F or so tonight. What can be done? Thanks :)

oh dear, that's a difficult situation. Do you have anyone to help you? and a long rope? start at the far side of the pond and each hold one end of the rope and walk the rope across the pond perhaps waving it up and down enough to scare and "push" the ducks to go out of the pond in the direction of the barn , might work.
tomorrow I would not let them back out there for a couple more weeks of just the playpen type thing like you were doing until they really get used to the routine of coming in at supper time.
I would feed some breakast but then wait until supper time to put outt a good amount of duck feed which hopefully trains them to come for the food just before sunset

I want to preface this by saying I've only kept ducks for 2 years, and I'm certainly no expert. But I hope that sharing my own experiences might help.

I have more experience with dogs and dog training than anything else, but the methods can be utilised with other animals. I trained my ducks that a particular noise I make meant food - especially high priority food, like whole wheat or the odd mealworm, though I try to keep treats to a minimum. Now, whenever I make the noise, they come running. I don't have a large amount of land or a huge pond though. I have seen people use things like a bell or a whistle that can be heard further away, but it isn't anything that I have personal experience with.

Obviously, this doesn't help you now that they're out and avoiding you. I'm not really able to give good advice for how to catch them again. The suggestion with the rope seems a good idea to me, though.

But once you have hopefully caught them, I think it'd be a good idea to pen them back up again and work on training them to return to the coop at a set time with the promise of food, and introduce a specific sound when you do so. I believe a lot of people who free range poultry will give them some breakfast, then take the food away during the day, and give them food again once it is time to be put up for the night. This helps them learn that going to "bed" = food = good. You're rewarding them for the behaviour you want to see. And food is the way to most animals' hearts.

I found the calling sound very helpful when one of my ducks managed to get out my garden. I wasn't sure where she was, but she came running and quacking when she heard me call. (I have since blocked off that "escape route").

I trained my ducks to return their coop a bit differently though, because I don't give them food or water in the coop to make cleaning a bit easier. I herd them in with a long bamboo cane - much easier for me since I have a fenced garden. Before herding them, I would tap on the ground 3 times with it. Now, I go out, tap the stick on the ground 3 times, and they all go off into the coop.

Ducks learn routines very well - you just need to get them into one. Ducks don't have the natural instinct to roost like chickens, around and on the water is where they'd spend their nights in the wild.

I hope however that you find a method of catching them that works and you can get them all back safely! In theory, ducks by a body of water are safer from land predators, but our domestic ducks may lack some of the instincts of their wild cousins. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you can get them all back in their coop.

I don’t have a large pond so haven’t had to deal with this but my ducks have access to feed all day and put the selves into bed when it starts to get dark
When I moved them to outside from inside I used a blue pool noodle to guide them in
This only took a few times and they no longer need my help
If a hawk or weather is bad and I need them to go in a bit early I just walk behind them saying all ducks go to bed amd they go in
I agree with other suggestions on not allowing them to the big pond yet but get them use to having more space but going into the coop at certain times
Ducks are very scheduled and will usually learn the routine quickly
I keep my feed in an outdoor safe house attached to the coop that way they can eat and drink before full lock up as it gets dark
Once you see they are going back to the coop on their own you can reintroduce the big pond

I don't have a pond but they have a large partial of property fenced in and when they are up on the hill behind our home I can't see them or them me so I put snacks into a coffee can with a lid and start whistling I use to shake the can and whistle but I only have to whistle now and they come running. Start your training while you have them penned. Get them used to a word or whistle then when they come close toss some treats. They really pick things up well. I have read of so many members having problems getting their ducks inside at night off of their pond. The idea of only feeding them in the evening is a good one that way you can train them to come to their house to eat. Then lock them up.

@goats-n-oats how are your ducks today?
Hey, sorry I am late responding. The rope idea is good but I don't really have anyone to call at night to come help. They now recognize the fishing net and run from it.
I tried using a new call, 'breakfast cluck-cluck-cluck' and hope that will stick.
I was able to get 3 indoors last night, checked on them a few times at night, and this morning found the rest had gone back into their kiddie enclosure (see photo). I closed the sides and got 6 more into the enclosure this morning. So there are 3 left out all day. They do seem to want shelter and food but are too afraid to come into the chicken coop.
You can see the barn behind the enclosure. The chicken coop is on the far right corner (facing the road).
At night they have been sleeping, eating, and drinking niacin water in this stock tank.
Another idea is to dedicate one of the goat stalls (behind the buck) to a duck pen, with a door that opens out directly facing the pond. That opening would be where the rainwater collection tank is in the first photo, but the gutter. Though, I'd have to cut a hole in the barn wall and give up on a birthing space for the goats :(
Open to suggestions.

IMG_20230919_131121411.jpg

IMG_20230919_143505069.jpg

IMG_20230919_143511814.jpg

Hey, sorry I am late responding. The rope idea is good but I don't really have anyone to call at night to come help. They now recognize the fishing net and run from it.
I tried using a new call, 'breakfast cluck-cluck-cluck' and hope that will stick.
I was able to get 3 indoors last night, checked on them a few times at night, and this morning found the rest had gone back into their kiddie enclosure (see photo). I closed the sides and got 6 more into the enclosure this morning. So there are 3 left out all day. They do seem to want shelter and food but are too afraid to come into the chicken coop.
You can see the barn behind the enclosure. The chicken coop is on the far right corner (facing the road).
At night they have been sleeping, eating, and drinking niacin water in this stock tank.
Another idea is to dedicate one of the goat stalls (behind the buck) to a duck pen, with a door that opens out directly facing the pond. That opening would be where the rainwater collection tank is in the first photo, but the gutter. Though, I'd have to cut a hole in the barn wall and give up on a birthing space for the goats :(
Open to suggestions.

View attachment 3639766

View attachment 3639767
View attachment 3639768
At 5 weeks I no longer supply feed abc water inside the sleep area
For water they need way more then that little chicken water dish in the photo
Ducks at all times when there is food always need water and it needs to be deep enough to dunk their heads fully
I have several dishes around the yard for mine to do this
But in the coop they don’t need feed or water
Instead of the tank could you close off an area using chicken wire or hardware cloth with the gate
At night when you want them to go into the area they can walk in on their own and not be lifted
I’m thinking they are freaking out about being handled ( very common at the teen stage )
I have my pen in sections for different groups and each section has a gate they go in on their own to their own sections and once in I close the gates till morning
I’m not picking any of them up

I'm having a similar issue, so this thread is of interest. From my initial experience with Muscovy ducklings, they love their pond; seems overcoming the draw of the pond is the challenge. So, I think getting 'em a door close to pond could help though it'll take time, and it sounds like real work, to convert some of the barn over for these headstrong ducks. You may need to incentivize 'em by withholding food for a bit as well.
(pond, food, patience)

Background:
1st, I raised white Muscovy ducklings. At about 8 weeks they were heading into their pen, located about 42 inches from the water's edge. One evening they balked at the entrance. I had a plastic rake handy and gently shooed 'em in. They never left the pond center in the evening after that. They also grew bigger than the auto door and 1 of the young drakes bloodied another drake. Plus it would be hard for me to be around at every sunset. The 2 peaceful drakes were rehomed to another pond. The others were rehomed to a family recreational farm and continue to be spoiled! So, a little wiser, obtained 3 Blk Muscovy hens, easy to manage. Their main feeder is nearby and viewable from my bedroom window; open during the day via auto door, with motion sensor lights to alert me if there's unwanted visitations during dark. There's a tray below where they eat and I can toss their crumbs away from the area. There's no ants or sign of predators. Their open-air pen/coop is at the other end of the pond. In it an auto feeder goes off at sunset dropping a cup of feed along with 4" water.

I've only worked with these hens 7-8 days. It's still a work in progress. First they gave a nope, we're too well fed now to consider the safety of the coop, So, their feeder door closes at 2 pm now. Then they were spooked by the grinding of the "Run Chicken" door starting to close as they were about to enter. (why isn't there a quite auto door on the market?) Now, they'll only come to their pen at sunset when I call 'em, and they won't go in until they hear the sound of food being dropped. But they seem more relaxed and may soon come over without calling and/or enter before the food drops.

Seems your last few will join the flock as you get some of 'em cooped. I think you've got this with your dog trainer skills. I eagerly await the details of your success and setbacks if any.

Attachments

• Emerald Pond.jpg
    Emerald Pond.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
My ducks initially were very free spurited with the pond, leaving they only left when they wanted, even at night. They still would except its right at night when i feed them inside their coop and this includes a bowl of peas.
They love peas. Will drop whatever they're doing to get them
I would train them to equate going to their pen at night with getting peas. Shake the bag, show them the bowl, etc

Back
Top Bottom