Help! 8 week old chick stopped eating and drinking!

Twilighttwist

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2023
Hello! We desperately need help with our 8 week old chick who is a Swedish Flower Hen. We recently moved our chicks outside to the coop full time. We live in South Florida so the weather is very warm :)

In the last few days our littlest member (Swedish flower hen) has stopped eating and drinking and is getting very lethargic. I think the poops that may be hers are a little green and mucus but it’s hard to tell. Not seeing any blood. No other signs of illness, but she has been our slowest growing chick since she was a week old. She has been fed chick medicated starter feed since we got her and is vaccinated for Mareks.

No other chicks with any signs of illness. Not sure if we should separate her since it may be stress related. Thinking that may make it worse…and she isn’t being picked on currently.

After calling the local feed store they suggested a little honey/ACV in water in a syringe. We gave her about 5ml of that today very slowly and carefully in a syringe. Not much change.She will perk up a bit to hang with her friends then mostly sleeps all day.

1) should we keep her feeding the acv/honey water? How much?
2) how about food?
3) should we separate her?
4) Any other advice?

Thanks so much for your help!!! My daughter is already crying seeing her sick because she loves all our chickens so much and doesn’t want to loose any. 😰

At her age, I think coccidiosis could possibly be a problem. Symptoms can include lethargy, not wanting to eat, diarrhea, and standing around puffed up. Corid is good to give in the water to treat coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. It is safe for the others to drink. How does her crop feel? Do you have chick grit available now that they are going outside? Maybe try and offer her fluids, then some cooked or raw egg and wet chicken feed often. B vitamins are not given when on Corid. If you have a vet who could look at her poop under a microscope, with a fecal float, they could rule out coccidiosis.

I would stop the ACV in the water. Until you get Corid, give electrolytes, Pedialyte, Gatorade, or water with sugar 1 tsp per cup.

Thank you! If she has been on medicated feed since day old—is it still possible to have coccidiosis?

Yes it is possible.
That’s good to know.

Bad news: We just stopped at the feed store and they are out of corid. I have it coming by Mail Tuesday. I picked up a “natural” treatment called durastat (with herbs) and probiotic mix with some electrolytes. We put that in the chickens water.

Good news: she is doing better today. Eating and drinking on her own and resting less. Still has runny poop and sleeps a bit more than others but so glad she is eating and drinking.

If she continues to improve should I still give them the corid? Or just keep an eye out?

Have you contacted Tractor Supplies and other feed stores. Rural King, Southern States are others. I would not wait to treat, but if you cannot get it, I would give buttermilk or plain yogurt orally.

Have you contacted Tractor Supplies and other feed stores. Rural King, Southern States are others. I would not wait to treat, but if you cannot get it, I would give buttermilk or plain yogurt orally.
Was able to find a small store today an hour away. I just added it to the water but now she isn’t drinking!! :barnie

any tips?

Was able to find a small store today an hour away. I just added it to the water but now she isn’t drinking!! :barnie

any tips?
I was using durastat in the water yesterday and she seemed to really like that. Is that ok to use with corid treatment? It doesn’t seem to have vitamin b in it. Attached pic of ingredients

Back
Top Bottom