HELP A Barred Rock - desperate need

Hendrychicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
Hey I need some help, My barred rock hen is about 16 weeks old and is sitting on her butt with her feet out in front of her. She does try and get up and uses her wings to try and balance her but keep falling either to the side or forward. I did deworm her and I am giving her antibiotics that I got from Tractor Supply store locally. She is not eating well but will eat cat food, watermelon. I am giving her water through a syringe. Any ideas or suggestions? I am trying to help my little Jeanie:/

How's her neck/head? Any droopiness? I had a droopy necked BR when it was about the same age a few months ago and we put vitamin E in the water we gave her to drink out of a medicine cup. (Be careful she doesn't aspirate when using a syringe) When I looked for treatment I ran across chickens with symptoms similar to yours.

Also, any know trauma that could've caused it?

I have noticed she is not stretching any unless she goes for some cat food or when I start rubbing her neck and coaching her to eat. No I do not have anything that could have caused anything like this to have happened... I dont know what is wrong....

You didn't mention how long she's been this way...

I'm new to keeping chickens, too and it seems like there are soooo many things that can go wrong! Be sure to search on BYC or just online in general for symptoms similar to what is going on with your chicken and try what makes the most sense!

I am sorry she has been this way since this past weekend, this is the first set of chickens we have ever had. We got them very young.

From what I've read about similar symptoms you might want to quarantine the affected chicken and keep a watch on the rest...hopefully none of the others are experiencing the same symptoms? I was hoping another BYC veteran might have seen your post by now and responded with some suggestions.

You might get more replies by posting this under the emergencies/diseases/injuries forum. You may have to make a new post but you might get more help by doing that.

Aww sad to hear, I had the same problem with one of my young hens. The feet were clinched and unable to walk, I freaked out. I did some research and when first starting to lay and egg can press against the Sciatic nerve, crippling her. Did you find out what was causing her pain?

nope, all I know she hasn't ate for 3 days and I saw a post that if they kept there eyes closed and gasping like for air that they are in a lot of pain. It was real sad. I loved my Jeanie...

Back
Top Bottom