Help, a few questions

sappora

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
I'm fairly new to chickens. We have three, I thought originally one male and two females. When we started getting eggs, we got three a day, three different colors. Light brown, brown, and a creamy white color. We thought maybe one was laying two. Anyhow, then we realized that they all must be hens. Can u tell me if this black chicken is a hen? I had sent an earlier photo of it, at about 12 weeks or so to this website and they said rooster. Now I'm confused.

Also, second question. One of our girls I think is becoming broody, wanting to sit in her nest box all day long and tries to peck at us if we go to move her. This is with eggs under her or not. It doesn't matter to her. Is this really her trying to raise a clutch, or could she have an issue like egg bound? I have noticed over the last few days that our egg production is dropped. Also noticed that the other normal chickens are pecking at her and not allowing her to be in the "group" per se. If it is just broody, how can I fix this? Thanks for any help!

Back
Top Bottom