Help! A guinea fowl made it way onto our property!

Well, he made it through the night. He seems to be a lot calmer today, even had some breakfast at the feeding station with one of my oldest hens. He has spent some time foraging with the girls, and the two that were spooked yesterday were in his general vicinity but didn’t get too close. He was unhappy when my cat came into the hen yard to help me mulch a couple of trees we had just planted, but my cat seemed to like him, lol! I’ve made some inquiries to try and either find his home or find him a new one. My vet is the most promising lead, as someone there knows some folks with guineas, so maybe they’ll take him. I feel sad for him, he clearly wants to be around my girls or is just lonely. :( I’ve attached a pic so maybe someone can confirm that he is a boy? Sorry the pic is sideway, I hate when it does that.
115B18A3-4E53-4308-B730-B5B97696F235.jpeg

Well, he made it through the night. He seems to be a lot calmer today, even had some breakfast at the feeding station with one of my oldest hens. He has spent some time foraging with the girls, and the two that were spooked yesterday were in his general vicinity but didn’t get too close. He was unhappy when my cat came into the hen yard to help me mulch a couple of trees we had just planted, but my cat seemed to like him, lol! I’ve made some inquiries to try and either find his home or find him a new one. My vet is the most promising lead, as someone there knows some folks with guineas, so maybe they’ll take him. I feel sad for him, he clearly wants to be around my girls or is just lonely. :( I’ve attached a pic so maybe someone can confirm that he is a boy? Sorry the pic is sideway, I hate when it does that.View attachment 2229585
That’s really sweet of you to try to help this guy out! He looks more boy-ish than girlish to me, but voice sexing is a lot more accurate than appearance in guinea fowl. Both sexes make a range of sounds, but only the hen makes the distinctive two syllable “buck wheat “ call. Since the girls make that sound a lot, if you don’t hear it, it’s probably a cock.

Well, he made it through the night. He seems to be a lot calmer today, even had some breakfast at the feeding station with one of my oldest hens. He has spent some time foraging with the girls, and the two that were spooked yesterday were in his general vicinity but didn’t get too close. He was unhappy when my cat came into the hen yard to help me mulch a couple of trees we had just planted, but my cat seemed to like him, lol! I’ve made some inquiries to try and either find his home or find him a new one. My vet is the most promising lead, as someone there knows some folks with guineas, so maybe they’ll take him. I feel sad for him, he clearly wants to be around my girls or is just lonely. :( I’ve attached a pic so maybe someone can confirm that he is a boy? Sorry the pic is sideway, I hate when it does that.View attachment 2229585
Looks like a boy to me more prominent crown and waddles

That’s really sweet of you to try to help this guy out! He looks more boy-ish than girlish to me, but voice sexing is a lot more accurate than appearance in guinea fowl. Both sexes make a range of sounds, but only the hen makes the distinctive two syllable “buck wheat “ call. Since the girls make that sound a lot, if you don’t hear it, it’s probably a cock.

Yep, hes a boy, he definitely doesn’t make that sound, lol! I wish he did, it’s a lovely voice the ladies have. He must have belonged to someone b/c he is coming closer to me now, and he‘s making himself right at home with chickens, like he is used to them already. I gave the girls some blueberries earlier. He would come close, but not close enough where I could toss him one so the girls wouldn‘t run and snatch it up before he got to it. I was just checking on him, and I squattEd down and held my hand out. He was about 12”-18” from my hand and I think if I had a treat he would have taken it from me, and then run lol! I’m heading into town so I’ll stop by TSC and get him some millet. I have another question for all of you guinea experts: what is the minimum number of Guineas one could have to keep them happy, in your opinions? I know they are flock birds moreso than chickens. I’m reading conflicting opinions on this, some folks say minimum of 10 Guineas, others say a mated pair coexisting with chickens is fine. I’m asking b/c I would consider keeping him if I can’t find him a good and safe home. I have to admit, this fella is starting to grow on me.

Yep, hes a boy, he definitely doesn’t make that sound, lol! I wish he did, it’s a lovely voice the ladies have. He must have belonged to someone b/c he is coming closer to me now, and he‘s making himself right at home with chickens, like he is used to them already. I gave the girls some blueberries earlier. He would come close, but not close enough where I could toss him one so the girls wouldn‘t run and snatch it up before he got to it. I was just checking on him, and I squattEd down and held my hand out. He was about 12”-18” from my hand and I think if I had a treat he would have taken it from me, and then run lol! I’m heading into town so I’ll stop by TSC and get him some millet. I have another question for all of you guinea experts: what is the minimum number of Guineas one could have to keep them happy, in your opinions? I know they are flock birds moreso than chickens. I’m reading conflicting opinions on this, some folks say minimum of 10 Guineas, others say a mated pair coexisting with chickens is fine. I’m asking b/c I would consider keeping him if I can’t find him a good and safe home. I have to admit, this fella is starting to grow on me.
I would say a mated pair if they are with a flock of 10 or more chickens

OK, so the Boy made his way into the coop, before the pole light came on; that’s the hen’s trigger that it’s time to roost. Somebody loved this boy. From what I’ve read (and I’m no expert on Guineas at all!) it’s hard to coop train Guineas. I stayed outside as a mosquito buffet to be sure that everyone is safe and secure. i am flabbergasted, I wasn’t expecting any of this integration to go so well, so far. Am I missing something? I attached a pic, he’s in the back on the right.

Attachments

• E0ACF1F8-B6B1-482B-A8C0-616CDD888789.jpeg
    E0ACF1F8-B6B1-482B-A8C0-616CDD888789.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 18
I forgot to add this to my post above. The Boy makes these sweet whistling sounds, nothing like y‘day. It’s beautiful! I don’t think the hens get it, but it seems like they are tolerating/adjusting to this situation at this point. Truly a lovely bird, I just wish I knew how he wound up here, i.e., was he dumped? Did he find his way here randomly?

OK, so the Boy made his way into the coop, before the pole light came on; that’s the hen’s trigger that it’s time to roost. Somebody loved this boy. From what I’ve read (and I’m no expert on Guineas at all!) it’s hard to coop train Guineas. I stayed outside as a mosquito buffet to be sure that everyone is safe and secure. i am flabbergasted, I wasn’t expecting any of this integration to go so well, so far. Am I missing something? I attached a pic, he’s in the back on the right.
Looks like you have been adopted by a guinea he will eat all the creepy bugs you don't want and he will protect your girls from harm

Looks like you have been adopted by a guinea he will eat all the creepy bugs you don't want and he will protect your girls from harm
We do have hawk and fox problems here, so an alert cock would be most welcome. I’m just worried because from what I’ve read, and been advised on BYC, that Guineas need to be with their own kind. However, this Boy seems to have made himself right at home, despite being an outlier. If he’s OK and so are the girls, then so be it! :D I just want to do what is right for him and if I found him a good and safe home with other Guineas, I’d gladly let him go. But like I posted earlier, he is growing on us, even hubby really likes him!:celebrate

1 yes
2 yes
3 they can not eat pellets they will choke so if you keep him you would have to switch to crumbles
4 he will roost with the hens and guineas are very protective of their flock against predators
We live in Northern Ohio and never had an issue with guineas survival in winter they are just as hearty as chickens are in low temperatures
Do you only have one boy guinea that lives with your female hens?

Back
Top Bottom