Help a raccoon broke in.

Looks good! It's hard to tell from your pic but you may consider running the hardware cloth all the way to the top, if feasible. Here is my coop (unfinished at that point) with the hardware cloth installed similar to yours. I'm in a wooded area with a ton of predators and nobody has made it in yet and we're going on one year. I swear though, every single night I go down there after dark for any reason and I scare something off-usually a raccoon. Nasty little boogers.

You're on the right track, assume that anything larger than 1/2" gap will, eventually, be compromised.

Good luck!

Newbie here didnt know that!! It was utility stapled on. Every single one was stapled. Some had multiple staples. Dang it here I thought that they were in fort knox. :(
Do you think my idea with the boards and thicker wire outside will be sufficient.

I'm sorry you lost one, that's terrible. A friend of mine who has had chickens for years told me that once the raccoon gets in, he will keep coming back. I'd lock your chickens in the coop or move them temporarily until you can get the run more secure. I've always seen hardware cloth used, and not chicken wire. It's stronger and more secure. Good luck!

At the store picking up hardware cloth and screws with washer heads. Adding boards to the bottom also. Its a metal shed tuened coop so only the frpnt is accessible. The trap is already set!
Im also adding a motion light at the coop door. Thanks for your help

Here is my updated security with the hardcloth and washer screws! So double wire and a new motion sensor light and a trap set!!

Last edited:
Yes I hope I trap the booger too and I'm going to relocate him down to the river about 10 miles away. If it was a possum it would be a different story lol!!
Thanks for the pics Mary! I still have to wire my chicken run which luckily I hadnt bought chicken wire for yet.

Please do not relocate him. If you're not going to kill it, don't bother trapping it. Relocation is illegal in many states because of the threat of spreading diseases like rabies and distemper from one place to another. It also does not do any good for the animal you have relocated. You're dropping it off in what's likely the territory of another raccoon that will likely try to fight it off, possibly seriously injuring or even killing it. The relocated animal has to find food and water sources and a home. It's in foreign territory so it has to find its way. If you dump it off near other people, you are now making your trap-wise animal someone else's problem. I don't appreciate people dumping off animals "out in the country" where I live. I have enough to deal with for predators without dealing with yours. 

NEVER relocate a predator like a raccoon or opossum!!!  It's illegal in many (most) states, bad for the animal, and relocates a trap wise varmit whom loves chicken.  Trap and shoot, or don't trap at all.  Mary

In my state we are only allowed to kill it if we hold a hunting lic. Which I do not. I can relocate within the immediate area which is considered within 5 miles. Or I can take him to animal control who will run tests on him then put him down.
I would never drop it "out in the country" around anothers home. We have many animals end up out here due to people dropping them off, so I understand your issue. I am out in the country, my front porch over looks many acres of almond trees and cattle ground which has a big river that runs through it. Most likely where this guy orginated from. He can't live here and I would rather not kill an animal who did nothing wrong since its his instinct. Thanks for trying to make sure I was aware of laws though. Not everyone is aware of them!

Back
Top Bottom