Help....adding to flock

Sunshine77

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
We got a Silkie Bantam and her two chicks. Turns out both chicks were roosters...and full size at that. We gave them (the roosters) to someone who needed them. So "Emma" has been on her own for about a week. We picked up some baby silkies today...and have them in the coop inside a dog kennel. My husband took the door to the kennel off to see what Emma would do. She looked around, drank some of their water...and walked to the side. The two chicks came out and walked around her...and as they were getting close she would "peck" at them. Especially one in particular. I found this to be very upsetting....so we put the door on the kennel.....to separate them...turned out the lights and left.
What do we do now? I figure they will be OK till moorning....but I can"t watch over them all the time! What now.................

Do you have any other chickens? If so, I'd put Emma with them if possible. Some hens will adopt new chicks and some don't. If you don't have any other hens for Emma, then I'd consider looking for a partner for her.

Back
Top Bottom