HELP AND ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!!

dailyduck

Chirping
Aug 14, 2015
WINTER HELP

So we currently have 6 ducks all at a maturing age; 4 that are 5 months old and 2 that's are about 3 to 4 months old. As the summer is going we will be going through our first WINTER with ducks and we need so tips or advice on the best and most cost efficient way to keep ducks in the winter. We live in Illinois so yes it does get very cold on the harsh days.

We have
• 2 Indian runners
• 2 khaki Campbell's
• 1 Rouen
• 1 pekin

I could use some help on
• the best way to keep water unfrozen
• the best housing methods

My method does not work for most people, but I will offer it. Long story short, I moved my Runners from their double-walled, insulated outdoor shelter into the walkout basement. That worked, and now I have built them a simple room - the walls are plastic poultry fence - and the basement stays above 40F even in deep winter. It also stays below 75F even in the height of summer.

The caution I offer is that bedding ignites - so be careful.

Oh, and my Runners never read the articles that say that they are just fine at 20F, or that they huddle together for warmth. They aren't, and they don't.

This will be my first winter with ducks, too. I haven't made any decisions yet, but I've read on here that people use the warmers sold to keep bird baths from freezing and others use aquarium heaters. I've also read that ducks tolerate winter pretty well. I'm near St. Louis so we certainly get cold weather. I'm definitely planning to add straw and use more pine shavings for bedding material. Other than that, I'm still researching.

Getting water to the ducks, if they and their water are outdoors, is one of the most difficult chores I read about. Some use large containers and bust ice, but below 15F, the ice becomes solid anyway.

Ideally, a way to let the ducks bathe at least once a week is much better for their health.

Things I have found helpful include an indoor-outdoor thermometer, set up so that you can read the temperature inside the shelter without opening a door, letting any heat out.

Extra thick bedding can help, I mean, a foot and a half of shavings.

Insulation - in the form of straw bales or other material can help. But the ducks do need good ventilation at the same time.

There are some passive solar principles that might help. I have thought of incorporating some kind of greenhouse-type shelter in the next day pen we build.

And really going for it, I feel that a part subterranean shelter would be cool in summer, warm in winter.

Farm supply stores have some options for keeping water unfrozen.
As for swim water, unless you get a pond heater and have a large thing of water, you'll likely need to haul out water for them to take a quick dunk in now and again.

Shelter -
you still need ventilation
but you can pile up some straw bales which will keep their shelter a bit warmer (and you can use the straw in the spring)
more bedding

I don't have the option of heated water bowls, so what I did was change out their water a couple times a day with slightly warm water to keep it from freezing over. This was outside in their yard, but inside the Duck House at night I hung a heat lamp over the water bowls to keep that area just warm enough for the water not to freeze.

I used alot of straw and hay for bedding material outside in their yard (they have little shelters out there) and also put down straw over the areas they used most when it was covered in snow/ice. And of course inside they had lots of wood shavings for bedding, and also a little hay as well to snuggle up in.

I used the heater horse pail for the geese and dog one for the ducks. also I used the hay and straw to bank the sides of coop. when it warmed a bit I filled tubs with water for baths to watch them was a hoot. my biggest problem was the wild birds eating the feed.

Back
Top Bottom