HELP ANTS!!

kearstin17

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Grand junction
I have a broody hen that is hatching eggs. They chicks started slowly working there way out today. Still none hatched but I just went out and found that the one chick that is the closest to being hatched is covered in those little black ants. The chick has broke some of the shell and is still in the membrain but there are a lot of little black ants on it. What do I do? I am new at all of this and am kind of freaking out.

Idk about the ants in the nesting box but there are many thing you can do naturally to keep them out of the coop and run. Diatomaceous earth, the kind for your pool or garden, sprinkled around the perimeter will kill them, also cinnamon and cayenne are natural repellants. Also any of these sprinkled in your coop or run will not harm the chickens but I couldn't tell you what to do with the ones attacking the chick. Possibly break it free and get rid of the shell so it doesn't attract more.

I just did cinnamon along the outside of the coop and then I reached in and grabbed out threw out whatever ants I could get to, My hen is also working on eatting them as well. I did try to get the ones off the egg but if I get within inches of it she attacks my hand so I will just pray she will work on them herself.

You will need to move mom and eggs/chicks to an ant free spot for starters. Not ideal, but it will be difficult to get the ants under control otherwise. Make sure you don't move any ants with them. The chicks that is hatching: carefully remove as much of the outer (white) membrane as possible and wipe the ants off the chick with some damp cotton wool. Check for any that went in under the shell/membrane as well. Good luck!

I have no place to move them. :(.... we just bought a smaller chicken coop and put them in it 4 days ago. I cannot move her back to the main coop because my other chicken where attacking her and breaking her eggs. I didn't notice any ants till tonight when the chicks started hatching. I did go out and scoop out the bedding that had ants. well as much as I could but I am sure there are still ants out there. they are the little black ones that people call sugar ants. I am not sure if they are much of a risk or not but I am freaking out. My hen gets upset anytime I get near the eggs also. I was able to take a damp cotten ball and wipe the eggs that is close to hatching (can see the chicks fur a little out of the opening) I think I wiped them all off. I wish I could just stand out there killing all the ants but I am afraid me having a flash light shining at my hen and her eggs will hurt them. I have never had a broody hen or hatched eggs so I am VERY new at this. I really don't know what to do.

If you can't move her just try and keep the ants under control as much as you can. Keep an eye on the eggs and see if they become a problem and just keep wiping them off. Removing the bedding should help a lot. Can you figure out where the ants are coming from and stop them there maybe? I'm a bit weary of using poison in situations like this, but if you have some DE that would help. Otherwise just close your eyes and pour hot water on their nest. (The ants' not the chicken!)

I went out and killed all I could find and think I got most if not all of them. I do have a new issue though. one of the chicks started peaking out and then my hen stepped on the egg. chick is still alive but side of egg is cracked pretty good and the membrain is still there but it looks dry. i don't know if that is normal but what little bit of fur that is showing is dry already. Should I be worried?

I went out and killed all I could find and think I got most if not all of them. I do have a new issue though. one of the chicks started peaking out and then my hen stepped on the egg. chick is still alive but side of egg is cracked pretty good and the membrain is still there but it looks dry. i don't know if that is normal but what little bit of fur that is showing is dry already. Should I be worried?
Peel off a bit of the shell and check the inner membrane for active blood vessels or any sign of bleeding. If possible check the chick's belly area for unabsorbed yolk. If there is visible blood vessels and or yolk wrap the chick with the shell and membrane in damp tissue paper and keep it warm, under the hen if possible, or if you can create a warm spot somewhere in your house it would be better. If the blood and yolk has been absorbed you can help the chick get out of the shell. There are some pics here to show you what to look for:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Back
Top Bottom