HELP! Anybody got hens laying before dawn?

redhawkou812

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Joelton, TN
We've got 2 first year layers that have decided to start laying very early int he morning before the sun comes up. And they're laying on the floor of the coop & 1 egg is always broken. Thought it could be that they couldn't see good enough to get in the nest boxes, but they're doing their thing on the floor & then going back to their hi roost. They'd been laying during the daylite hours for the first month or so. Have they turned into night owls?

I occasionally hear mine singing the egg song before dawn, but I have light in the coop, so I guess that doesn't count. Others have posted that their hens lay from the roosts.

Imp- I'm glad when the lay early and sing in the coop. Much quieter than after dawn when they go out in the run to sing.

I have the occasional egg in the pre-light hours. But those seem to be the newbie eggs. They are usually the soft shell kind and they are usually broken. This morning I went out there and checked and when I saw it and went to get it the ladies spotted it also and started to eat it!!
ep.gif
I had to scare them away so I could get what was left. Now I'm worried that they will start busting the good eggs.
barnie.gif
I go back to work on Tuesday and will be gone ALL day (teacher aide) and hope that all my beautiful eggs make it!!

first time ever this am! I was waiting for my last hen to lay her first egg-I heard teh music and let them all out thinking they wanted out early-but when they all left the coop there was and egg. Im picky about collecting and check all boxes before bed so she laid it last night or early this am:) Little dark brown egg from a cinnamin queen

Back
Top Bottom