HELP! anyone with frontpage or java experience?

SandraChick

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
WAY North Coastal California
I inherited a web site I'm trying to update...but it's not all working. It's a non-profit and we can't find anyone to work on it for us...so here I am trying to figure it out.

The thing I can't figure out is on the left menu frame, there are several items...when you put your cursor on them, a submenu is supposed to pop up, but it doesn't.

I tried to change it so the target goes directly from the main menu item...but it only works if I right click on it and open it in a new window (or tab)....

ARGH
here's the website
http://tws-cncc.org

any help is appreciated
[email protected]

Sandra

In my opinion, fly out menus are hard to navigate, anyway, because if you're not spot on, the menu goes away and you have to go back and pop it up again and then try (again) to go down to your menu item. Are you sure you don't like it better this way?

I don't know that I could help you unless I poked around the file.
hmm.png
(And even then, who knows...!)

Good luck!

I will see what I can do.

First update, its a browser problem , your menu works correctly in Firefox. Will keep looking. This isnt a "flying menu" when you click on the top menu - the submenus are listed , much like how folders are displayed in windows.

Ok you are using a menuing system written in Java by Thomas Brattli.

Apparantly at a site called DHTMLCentral.com - checking it now.

While I am checking into this, May I once again suggest strongly that if you do not want to be at the mercy of a web site developer and want to be able to adminster your own site, use Content Mangemet portals. Windows servers can use DNN , Appache has a great deal of choices, the most inituitive one I have ever used was postnuke , these are free programs folks, they are called open source. They are programs that programers throught out the world continually work on and update, they do this for free. Since source code is provided, if anyone tried to hide anything malicious it would be easily spotted.

I would gladly help anyone switch to this type of web application.

Ok he does appear to be checking the browsers, It stops at IE 6 of course. I have IE 7. Can someone check her site for me that has IE 4-6 and tell me if it works?

This is what it is suppose to look like. You click on About us and the sub menus appear
menu.gif

UPdate: it looks like he has been updateing his menus. He is the owner and major contributor to the site I mentioned above. I googled him and his name came up often , especially in reference to his Cool Menus. His site is very slow and I am at work, so I might have to drop this for now. I am going to register on his site, and pose a question in order to see if we can get a quick fix to your problem.

Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Like I said, I just inherited this and I haven't done html in like 10years....--it's WAY different now. I have no clue what you're talking about....

" if you do not want to be at the mercy of a web site developer and want to be able to adminster your own site, use Content Mangemet portals"

I think your saying the last person working on this web page(who didn't update it for over a year- argh)....went and got some code from a developer?

that sucks! I really need the KISS method (keep it simple stupid). Maybe I should just redo the whole menu and have all the subheadings showing at all times?? How frustrating--I liked it better when it was all simple 10years ago....no java...no applets...just HTML! less fancy, but easier all the way around!

Sandra

Quote:
Ah... when I looked at it briefly, I was using Firefox so I thought perhaps the problem was that she wanted fly-outs since everything seemed to work.
tongue.png
(I despise fly-outs!)

lol.png

Hey, I can't help with your specific problem, but I do have a bit of advice/experience.

I've "inherited" a couple of websites, too, and I've found it's almost alwasy easier to start over from scratch. Particularly if you're going to be the one maintaining it OR if you are handing it off to someone else. ESPECIALLY if you don't fully understand some of the stuff that the previous person did.

I use Frontpage and although it isn't as FLASHY as some of the other things out there, it is reliable and robust enough to do all the major stuff. It's also very easy for anyone good at Microsoft to update.

I agree that flyout menus can be a pain and can be distracting.

Good luck, it looks like you are in good hands with the other posters!

Sandra "Content Manager" programs are free programs that include source code. You can create a site without any programing experience. IF you look at my site , that is a gallery that is the same. Its called open source. The place I host my site at 4.95 a month, offers several of these. PostNuke is probaly the easites and the quickest to learn. Every thing is done through administrative modules, thus no programing.

IF I can help let me know. I am afraid I never heard back from the programer, so I do not know if there is an update for your menu available.

I still dont know if its really broken or not. You might try copying the code that references IE 6.0 and pasting it right below that, than change the 6.0 to 7.0.

The problem could be as simple as the program isnt regonizeing the verison number so it is crashing through the loop.

Back
Top Bottom