Urgent: Need help with my ~4-5 yo Rhodie who's been having horrible diarrhea for about a week

Melissa C

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2022
Hi,
One of my Rhodies is very sick and I can't figure out how to help her. She's had terrible diarrhea for about a week or more. Initially it smelled really bad. I had a fecal test done and no parasites. (I originally suspected coccidiosis but no trace of that was found.) She's getting weaker and weaker because her body just doesn't seem to be processing food. I've been giving her apples, watermelon, bananas, soaked oats, scrambled eggs, electrolyte water, sweet potatoes and soaked feed. She's not very interested in her regular feed even if I soak it so I've basically been trying to give her food that keeps her hydrated and will be binding but nothing has been working. I've been mixing oregano oil into her food too as a natural antibiotic. I suspect bacteria maybe? She also seems to have an infection on her foot but it's not in the pad. It's on her toe and some of the webbing as well as the side of her foot. Could these two things be related?? Ugh, any help is appreciated! I'm afraid she might not make it if this goes on much longer :-(. Attached are photos of her poo and of her - she's so sad looking. (Pink color is not blood but watermelon juice).

IMG_2038.jpeg
IMG_2039.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpeg
    IMG_2038.jpeg
    730.6 KB · Views: 2
Poor girl!

Is vet care an option?

Looks like there's a bit of blood or intestinal shedding in the poop.
Have you dewormed her?

I'd consider getting her on an antibiotic like SMZ-TMP or Sulfadimethoxine and deworm her as well. Safeguard or Valbazen would be good for that.

Has she laid any eggs lately?

Unfortunately, we don't have any avian vets in our area so, no, vet care is not an option. That's actually watermelon juice and not blood. It's one of the few things she'll eat. I thought antibiotics would be helpful but I don't know how to go about getting them without a vet's help. There is a vet that will do a fecal test (which I did) and no worms were detected. Because she's so weak, I'm hesitant to give her dewormer if she doesn't need it. I do think antibiotics might be the answer but how to get them w/o a vet??

Poor girl!

Is vet care an option?

Looks like there's a bit of blood or intestinal shedding in the poop.
Have you dewormed her?

I'd consider getting her on an antibiotic like SMZ-TMP or Sulfadimethoxine and deworm her as well. Safeguard or Valbazen would be good for that.

Has she laid any eggs lately?
And no, she hasn't laid eggs for some time. She's in pretty bad shape.

Back
Top Bottom