Help!! Are my chicks going to be safe??????

Eliz

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
I was not sure where to post this question!

I have had a bad time with fleas in the yard this year. I would like to know, if I spray a chemical (malathion) in my yard will my chicks ever be ok to free range in this area after the chemical dries??

Last edited:
If your raising them organic you might want to check the approved chemicals to see if that one is there or not. You may also be more comfortable using an organic approved pesticide if you are worried about the effect on your chicks. I don't really know anything about that chemical (malathion) but I did find an article about using it to control fleas and mites with chickens.
It is by the COOPERATIVE EXTENSION SERVICE West Virginia University Center for Extension and Continuing Education. The article is on the internet here:
http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pubs/livepoul/pfs23.pdf
It does say not to contaminate their feed with that chemical so if your chicks will be eating grass that has been treated with it, it may not be a good thing to use, but I'm not sure what would be...sorry, not much help
hmm.png

My dad told me that his grand-dad used to use fire place ashes also! He said that years ago they used to use fire place ashes in the chickens nesting boxes and for them to dust bath in as well. That's how they used to control all those type of pests.
smile.png

Headhen thank you every much for the link!! That was some very useful information to have. Again thank you.

I am not too worried about the organic aspect of it. I prefer to limit the amount of chemicals used ofcourse, but some times it can't be avoided.
sad.png

I was just wondering if I use it ,and after it is dried, when my chicks eat the dirt if it is going to hurt or kill them?

As for the fireplace ashes I would LOVE to give that a try, but since I live in south georgia we rarely get to use the fireplace.
sad.png

I don't want to do anything to hurt or kill my birds they are part of our family!!!

Back
Top Bottom