Help! Baby chick suddenly sick

Jenna3312

Hatching
Apr 12, 2023
My baby check is about seven days old. He has had loose stool and I’ve been treating him with corid for the last three days. He has been eating and drinking just fine and very active. I only saw a little smear of blood in just one of his many many stools a couple days ago, since then, they’ve seem to have gotten more normal, less watery and closer to brown than the yellow color that they were. I’m just the last couple hours he’s become very lethargic. His feathers are puffed and the last stool that came out looks like an orange blob. Is there anything more than I can do than mix corid in the water? He will not drink without me using a dropper now. This happened so suddenly 😢 Any advice appreciated!
42B4196C-6C2F-405C-B5CF-2C596A4A438F.jpeg

It's highly unlikely this seven day old chick has coccidiosis as the incubation period is five to seven days. The color of blood is ruby red. That color is more like the color of intestinal shed.

How large is that spot? There is no way we can tell without some context such as placing a ruler next to it. Is it the first time you've seen this? Or has this colored substance been in other poop?

Common issues with baby chicks are stress, pasty butt, and constipation. Have you checked its vent? Does it peep loudly when it squats to poop? Has it been eating and drinking?

Do you have Poultry Nutri-drench on hand? If not, give it a little sugar water to drink. That will fight any stress reaction it may have.

Back
Top Bottom