Help baby chicks got wet

dorenachickenlady

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Dorena, Oregon
I had 24 10 day old chicks out in the chicken coop in a brooder with a heatlamp well it started raining last night and I guess I have a leak that was right above them in the roof. I went out to check on them this morning with my daughter and there were 4 dead ones and the rest look awful. They are covered with dried on food and wet newspaper but somehow they dried on there own like that. I gave them food and warm water asap. Do I give them baths in the house to get the yuck off of them? Also should I give them something else to eat, some seem pretty weak. Please HELP me!

i would bring them in the house to get them warmed back up properly. Feed them something and give them warm water to drink. the warm water is like hot chocolate or coffee to us. Warms them up from the inside out. Don't make it too hot just warm
I would not worry about the stuff on the outside of them, it will clean off eventually. Newspaper is a good insulator anyway! Might help keep them warm for a little bit!
wink.png

I brought them in and gave them warm pedialite (a friend told me to do that) and put them right by our heater. Oh I hope they make it. They are moving around better now and chirping. Thanks for the reply.

Poor things.

You can also cook up some eggs - feed them the yolk, that will give them some strength.
Raw yolk would be fine as well but messy.

Last edited:
I would keep them inside until they got more feathers. Poor little things. Good luck with them. Glad they are doing better

Back
Top Bottom