HELP baby duckling legs HELP!!!

arnr1530

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
North Carolina
i have almost 4 wk old ducklings two are peking ducks .... and i noticed a few days ago that the one had bowed out legs and and it seems the heavy that she/he gets the less they can use the leg and get around!!! today is the first day they havent been outside all day as i still keep them in the brooder in my house at night but a cold front came in and they have been inside i noticed a little while ago its seems that he/she can no longer hold weight on this leg. they are eating fine and drinking and swim okay but they others are much stronger and i am at a loss on what to do with the leg someone please help me if they can and advise me what to do ? im afraid i may have to put it down but i wanna know if there is anything else i can do ? is this niacin deficiency ? i have been feeding them all the same thing the chick starter food and adding in some yeast every other day this duckling seemed to have this problem from the very beginning ? is there anything else i can do i dont wanna separate cause they dont like being alone i didnt know if i upped the dose of niacin if they would be okay ?

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be a niacin issue which can be common is ducks. "Niacin is a critical vitamin required for the correct development of ducklings and goslings. In fact, waterfowl have a higher requirement for niacin (also called nicotinic acid) than chickens.

What are you feeding them?

This might be helpful to you as well
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ies-in-goslings-ducklings-growth-leg-problems

they were eating the chick starter food from TSC and then i just got them the same thing a little different from southern states but i just did that yesterday and i have been giving them the yeast every other day ... im nervous the stronger ducks are gonna hurt this one even tho they seem to be careful around he/she if i get niacin in the pill form and put it in the water consistently for the next 48 hrs will it help improve ?

Regular chick starter normally doesn't have enough niacin ( vit. B) switch over if you can to a broiler or game bird starter. After giving some niacin you should start to see result may take a few days though. You can also supplement and try feeding the ducking some peas as well.

the feed that i just switched them too from southern states is a waterfowl feeder.. is this better then the stater feed ? how often should i give the extra niacin in the water for them ? and can i give the niacin supplement and the peas for a few days ?may i ask what the peas do ? sorry i am new to the duck world lots of chickens and every thing else first waterfowl bird .... thank you so much for your help

he/she also does amazingly swimming in the water they swim in the house about twice a day and when they are outside they swim as they please in their little pool ... they seem to do alot better in the water

Should be higher in vitamin b then the chick starter. I would just compare the vit. b on the labels and try for the highest one. But if its designed for waterfowl I think its a safe bet that the niacin is higher.
I recommend peas because they are high in vit b. and ducks like them. and yes giving them these things for the next few days will not harm them. If they need the boost they will get it and if they have enough niacin already it will not hurt them to get extra.

Here is another link with a lot of good condensed information from metzer farms
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html
Has a lot of good information

I had a similar issue with my babies a couple of weeks ago, one was hobbling round on his hocks rather than walking properly. I switched them from brewers yeast to crushed niacin pills in their water, and he's fine now. Good luck with your little ones!

UPDATE UPDATE::::: so i got the duckling to eat some peas and i did niacin crushed in water then filled up a dropper and fed it to them..... last night this morning she was up walking around drinking water with everyone eating more peas happy swimming but then this afternoon she went for her second swim and idk if she over did it in the tub or not but when she came back out she could barely stand up again and all the others wanna cuddle with her but she can barely stand no .... im at a loss she was doing so well i feel so sad for her ??? any other suggestions or anyone that can ease my mind a bit about the process

***** NOTE
since i got niacin pills yesterday they were 250 mg i cut them in half crushed it all u and put it the ducklings waterer ..... i have done this twice once yesterday and one time today ....

Back
Top Bottom