Help! Baby is limping, and has a swollen leg! What is it?

Iluvmypeeps

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Arizona
One of my baby quails is limping, after three days of treatment for what looked like a vitamin B deficiency. Now, his foot is getting very swollen and he's babying it even more. Is this bumblefoot? If so, how would I go about treating it? Will it leave permanent damage behind? Please help!

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

But the stuff for fish is extremely expensive. Nobody really said how effective some of the treatments were; I'm dying to know if there's anything I already have that I could use.

Last edited:
I used tricide neo and had success with some of the smaller bumblefoot sores shrinking and disappearing/falling off. However, with the larger cases it was more time consuming....more than 2 weeks worth of soaking that I didnt have time for. It was easier to perform the foot surgery and and have their feet healed up within a week, and have them on their way. There are plenty of posts on here on how to perform the surgery...just type in "bumblefoot surgery" in the search box and you should get plenty of info on how to do it. If that's what you want to do.

Last edited:
no.........i wouldn't! And it is effective but surgery is another option. If left untreated the bird will get sick and eventually die. It's a staph infection................

that's if it is that...............does it have something on bottom of the foot. It might have just hurt it's foot and is limping. Chickens i would buy the fish stuff...........it's 20 bucks, thats not alot of $$. Quail i would do something else.......................

Last edited:
Quote:
Do something else? Like what??

I'm almost sure it's Bumblefoot. It's really swollen, and especially in the ball of the foot.

Quote:
Do something else? Like what??

I'm almost sure it's Bumblefoot. It's really swollen, and especially in the ball of the foot.

there would be a scab...........is there a scab? I would cull................ just my personal preference. NOT suggesting it!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't find a black spot, and now it's driving me crazy that this might not be Bumblefoot.
barnie.gif

What do I do if it isn't Bumblefoot??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom